Flexible connector to attach permanent run to tractor coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mowsterbowster, Sep 5, 2014.

1. mowsterbowster

mowsterbowster New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    Having recently moved to an aerial-predator-heavy area, we stopped letting our hens free-range during the day and built them a nice big enclosure surrounding their coop. It's made of field fencing and covered with aviary netting, slightly smaller than 50' x 100', and they're allowed into it during the day and then shut in their coop at night. However, they rapidly denuded the enclosure area of vegetation and other good stuff, and despite our efforts to add fresh mulch from the mulch pile, which they do enjoy digging through, before long they're standing there looking at me sadly again. I can tell they miss having new territory to explore, but just can't justify the risk of letting them out without some cover from our hawks and diurnal owls.

I'd like to put them in a tractor coop of sorts during the day, but would want them to retain access to their main enclosure and coop for food, water, safety, and nest boxes. Can anyone think of a way to engineer a flexible connector that would run from the outside of their current enclosure (likely via a wood-framed door built into the field fencing, and shut at night) to a tractor coop that would move around the surrounding lawn? I was initially thinking about something like the Kittywalk product for cats, but wondered if the net bottom could pose a problem (nails getting caught in it, for example): https://www.kittywalk.com/lawn.asp

Any thoughts yea or nay, or ideas on how to construct something similar--perhaps without a "floor," which is only included in the Kittywalk product to prevent escape by wily cats pushing their way under the bottom edges--would be most welcome. Thanks, all!

Maya

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

How about something like this? [​IMG]

3. mowsterbowster

mowsterbowster New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    Wisher1000, that looks great! Do you think the wire would be sufficiently flexible to move the tunnel, though? (Since I'd need to move it from side to side to join up with wherever the tractor coop is at the time.)

Thanks!

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I think I would make it in sections that you could attach to one another with loose zip ties. That way you can change the length and it can snake a bit to keep from having to put the tractor in a line from the pop door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by