Flie flies flies!

We don't put anything on the lawn but we hang those sticky fly things that hang down in a curl they keep the flies down great!

C&Rman :

We don't put anything on the lawn but we hang those sticky fly things that hang down in a curl they keep the flies down great!

One thing about the sticky tape strands they don't just catch flies, we have had a bat caught in one. But yeah they worked great for us in our barn.​

DE (diatomaceous earth - food grade) will take care of that problem. It's great for your birds, lasts a long time, and quite effective. If you do a search there are many threads on BYC that discuss DE.

Another tip I got from BYC that seemed to help last summer was to hang a vanilla scented car tree high enough up out of the chickens way. I don't know why it repels flies, but it did seem to help some.

Yay Chicks! :

Another tip I got from BYC that seemed to help last summer was to hang a vanilla scented car tree high enough up out of the chickens way. I don't know why it repels flies, but it did seem to help some.

YES!!!!​

Quote:
One thing about the sticky tape strands they don't just catch flies, we have had a bat caught in one. But yeah they worked great for us in our barn.

Well we use the sticky thingies, too. But they do catch more than flies and bats ... the other evening I went out and they had caught one of my 4- wk old bitties. Lol ... little thing decided to try out his wings and flew right into the tape. He was fine, though. He was only barely attached and we were able to get it off and clean him up with no apparent harm to him. Lesson learned ... when the chicks get more mobile one must consider moving fly traps further off the ground! (They were about 1 to 1-1/2 feet up already...

I had a hen get in one of those and boy was she stuck. Took forever to get her loose. But I hang them outside the coop area for sure. Or other areas inside where the chicks and hens are not at. I found one that is a hugh roll that hangs. It is about a foot wide. You cut off sections when they get coated with flies. Right now one is in with the chicks but very high. I got my hair caught in it. Ugh! Now that was a problem.
ep.gif
LOL I won't do that again.
hmm.png
they really do help. Also an occasional spray of permethrin will help where the flies are hatching. Like a wet area or on the compost pile. gloria jean

Back
Top Bottom