Flies and Cantaloupe

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KnobbyOaks, Oct 9, 2012.

1. KnobbyOaks

KnobbyOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Central Texas
    So I was sitting here with my 3 week old chicks (Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday .......) and was thinking about flies, that people were complaining about flies and was wondering why their chickens weren't eating flies, what was wrong with flies, when one of my chicks reached up and grabbed a fly that was just flying through their pen. They all went bananas after that one fly. I said, "Hooray!"

Now I've just cut up a cantaloup rind to put in the compost pile and was wondering if there's any reason I can't give the babies small pieces of rind, not too much mind you, but maybe a square inch. Anybody, is it okay? Is it okay to give them small pieces of things that big chickens like? Not enough to distract from their chick feed.

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I give my chicks melon rinds all the time no big thing. They get the same stuff as the older chickens. They get bread, roll, cake, melons, chicken, hamburger, what ever is left over from dinner. No big deal for the chicks.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I think that should be fine. They will probably love it. My hens catch flies from time to time and I am very excited if I get to witness it. YAY!

4. KnobbyOaks

KnobbyOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Central Texas
    CM and CRD, thank you very much for the reply. I hurried out and gave them the little chunks. They cautiously checked it out, pecked a few times and then ignored them, other than to strew them around the pen. So after 3 hours, I removed them so they didn't rot in there. At least I know that I can try to give them things now without fear of giving them diarrhea and that makes me happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by