Flies everywhere!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by my5hens, Oct 23, 2011.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    What can I do about all the flies around the coop? I try to keep it fairly clean. But the flies are unbelievable.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Keeping it dry helps alot. I sprinkle DE around to dry out the poop. I clean the poop board daily in the coop.

The little scented trees that you buy in the automotive section act as a repellent in the VANILLA scent.

3. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Yay Chicks! :

Keeping it dry helps alot. I sprinkle DE around to dry out the poop. I clean the poop board daily in the coop.

The little scented trees that you buy in the automotive section act as a repellent in the VANILLA scent.

Do the chickens not try to peck at the little scented trees? And is it ok on their respiratory system? I've got some flies I'm fighting too. I know vanilla scent helps deter mosquitoes (at least vanilla lotion does for me), didn't know about the flies.​

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. I spread DE in my coops and runs keeps the flies under control. Its not a problem for the chickens they dust themselves in it to control fleas and mites. You can also put it in their food as a de-wormer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by