Flies, Flies, Annoying Flies!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pookiegoldman, Sep 12, 2010.

1. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Do any of you have an effective way of controling flies? They are relentless here!! There's not many around my chicken run, but in the back by my quail pens theres thousands. We have bantam chickens back there on the ground and they're doing a fair job of eating the maggots but not good enough. We've tried those red plastic quickstrike things, Golden Malrin, Raid spray everyday, Bugblaster, Yardguard, Cutter, the hanging fly traps, moth balls, hanging water-filled ziploc bags, pyrethrin, an electric bug fogger....to no avail.

2. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    I had a problem until a real smart BYCer suggested the little vanilla scented tree thingy's you hang in your car. I bought several packages of 3 and hung them on the chicken wire surrounding the pen...not only has it kept most of the flies away...it smells like vanilla...YAY a 2-fer!!! [​IMG]

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

They work. I use them in the alpaca barns and rarely see a fly and they have pretty much lost their scent. I wondered if we could take them and soak them in vanilla and then air dry them . . .save on having to keep buying and replacing them . . . or would flannel soaked squares in vanilla work?

4. pookiegoldman

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    I am definitly definitly gonna try them! I just sent my mother-in-law to pick some up now. It totally can't hurt, right?

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:There is a spray bottle of the scent available for purchase to re-new the fragrance. I just saw it at an auto parts store this past week.

6. hanaleimel

hanaleimel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Wow guys awesome...I was like I have that same problem too!!! Wow what a neat tip I am going to go out and find some. I have an outdoor cafe too and we always have flies buzzing around I am going to try some there as well I will keep ya posted.[​IMG]

7. pookiegoldman

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Update - We put out a ton of those vanilla trees, and only noticed a minimal reduction of the flies. I just don't know what else to try. They're probably immune to all that spray... I think they're Super-Flies!

8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Fly predators. They won't affect the adult flies but they will greatly reduce the hatch. Try them next year. You need to get them before the flies are too numerous. Properly used, fly predators will keep the fly population down to a tolerable level.

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Clean up the areas where they breeding. Remove as much manure as possible. If you pile manure anyplace you need to keep it dry or you can smother it with a thick layer of lawn clippings. Once most of the manure is gone, dress the area with a heavy layer of hydrated lime and wet it down, it will kill the larvae. I wouldn't let your birds walk through the wet lime though. Either rotate the birds around to get the job done or don't use lime inside their pens.

10. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    We have been using the Fly Trap's for the last couple of year's.There are Dome type's But I usualy get the Rescue bran bag type from Walmart.I wouldn't recommend using them near your house as they DO smell really bad but they WORK.I keep a couple up at all times now like one in my fenced chicken yard on fence or in a tree and one in backyard on old clotheline as our neighbor has cattle and horses.I Change them out by recyling a feed bag putting the bag over the trap and just cutting string and you don't even have to touch it once its full.Then we just burn the whole bag.Just Phew .They will trap TON's They are a bit gross but I will continue to use them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by