Flies, Flies, Flies.... Oh man help me PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ThaJuicyJuice, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    I have read a majority of the previous postings on this subject and did not find them satisfying. I live in Miami and the closest DE supplier is about 2 hours away. Florida seems to have monstrous swarms of these flies. My yard is no exception. I have 8 quail and 4 week old chickens and its a swamp of flies out there. How do I get rid of these things? I don't think an ordinary fly trap would work with this amount of flies.

2. happydodgefarm6113

happydodgefarm6113 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Well we live in NY and it is snowing so we dont really have that problem but I hope you find a solution, it sounds horrible. Answered just to bump this thread to the top again.

3. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    I use a daily dose of diatomaceous earth which I order from www.randallburkey.com (there are several other suppliers online). A light daily raking and a sprinkling of DE does the trick even in the Oklahoma heat. There are also lots of great natural anti-fly remedies, citrus (lemon juice, which is not so safe for chickens so be careful with that one) is an excellent fly deterrent, I always squeeze lemon on my plate when eating outside. Light reflections also works, I put water in ziplock bags and hang them on the coop. If all else fails, a little breeze will always do the trick! With some of the Miami solar energy and a few adjustments to a regular fan you could have a poultry cooling system and a 'fly be gone' system in one. If using solar panels does not work, just plug it in!

Good luck!

4. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Well in the coop someone just posted today that they hung those vanilla scented xmas tree air fresheners around and have NO flies, said it worked like magic....Im gonna try some this summer but of course outside they won't do anything

5. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I found DE at reasonable price on Ebay. They also have those hanging fly traps that they go in and drown, but boy do they stink. They have them at Ace, but I'm trying DE first. Going to try it on fire ants too.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:Florida here also. I always order my DE (food grade ONLY) from online. I buy it in 50lb size so it lasts and is cost effective. It does help TONS here for flies, and speaking off I need to go dust al the runs now that everyone is in for the night.

7. mcsfarms

mcsfarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern California
    Basil is an organic fly deterrent - seems they don't like the smell of the herb. I grow it on the front porch to keep the flies away from my front door. Any warm sunny spot will work and then you have basil for omelettes and other good cooking

8. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Go to lowes and get aq fly bag.. I bought the ones a tractor suppy they did'nt work but the one from lowes work great [​IMG]

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Magic Tree Vanillaroma car air fresheners. Hang several in the coop (keep out of rain) and watch the flies disappear. There are Xtra strength ones available too...I just ordered 24 of them. We're in Florida too and they do a great job of keeping the flies out of the coops, off porches, out of the barn, etc.

10. aussiedude248

aussiedude248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    If you dont want them in the coop or in the coop house use screen door netting or pool cage netting you can put it on the wire inside the coop or outside the coop. Works like a charm!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by