1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

flies,flies,flies.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 5sallad5, May 16, 2009.

1. 5sallad5

5sallad5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Trion, Ga
    There is flies in the coop and run. There are like 50-100. What should I do?

2. Clean the coop, is the short answer. You want to eliminate any manure laying around for them to lay eggs in or whatnot. You can also use D.E. in the coop and run to kill any of the eggs and maggots.

3. I use a lot of DE. It helps to cover up the odor but you have to keep the coop clean, I use hay for the floor of my coop its easy to rake up and put in the garden and I cover the nests, coop floor and roost with a heavy layer when I change the hay, they have something I think its called stall dry that I have heard works great to, good luck, summer hasn't gotten here yet and the flies are already a problem, I wonder what aug will bring marrie

4. 5sallad5

5sallad5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Trion, Ga
    yeah. I cleaned it out, but there is still some.

5. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    I'd recommend getting a product for trapping flies

6. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, believe it or not, this does work and it's cheap to do:

Put a couple of pennys in a ziploc baggie. Add water. Staple a few around the coop.

It's not 100% effective, but it helps alot!! [​IMG]

The pennys are in the corners of the bag in this picture, but they don't have to be.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

flies,flies,flies.

de, de, de.

8. PIO-PIO

PIO-PIO Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    POINCIANA, FL
    I totally understand what your going thru. I am a newbie and the flys in the coop and run was horrible. I ordered DE off ebay( they had alot of good feedback) make sure its food grade and within a couple days the fly problem was solved. just sprinkled in coop and run. worked perfectly! [​IMG]

9. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Quote:Who was the seller on ebay if you dont mind me asking?

10. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    Listen, I haven't tried this. I remember so one posting this....... take a 2 litter bottle and put apple cider vineger with dish detergent about a 1 of water to the bottom. That is all I can remember so I hope they will post it again because I'm going to try them all;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by