1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flies in chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shoo80, Jul 6, 2008.

1. shoo80

shoo80 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Does anyone know any good ways to limit the amount of flies in the old chicken coop? I have straw for bedding. Also what is better for the birds cedar or pine shavings? Or does it even matter? My chickens are 20 weeks of age.

2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Not cedar because of the aromatic oils can be bad for the birds lungs. I was told by the hatchery that straw is preferable to hay, but pine chips/shavings is the best.

For the flies, some people spread DE in their coops. There's no chemicals involved. Here's a link to a lot of info put together by Dawn419.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1560-Food_Grade_DE

I'm planning on using it but I'm looking for a local source. I HATE paying shipping charges. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Vapona, Black Flag and Home Hardware make a waxy strip in a plastic frame called a no-pest strip. Hang in coop (not over food/water) and flies will be minimal. But the straw is likely the source, they're breeding in food remains that get damp...if you can, consider switching to pine shavings. Another thing that helps is using DE and either Stable Boy or Dtall Boy in the straw. The pH is altered making it unsuitable for harching of fly eggs.

4. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Flies are often attracted to moisture. Maybe using pine would help a bit with that. Cedar is bad for the birds though, so avoid using cedar shaving.

6. thebigrooster

thebigrooster New Egg

Aug 31, 2010
  7. Bill in Hamlet

Bill in Hamlet Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Hamlet,NC
    DE, diatom' earth "Food Grade" only.... nuff said, Verrrry effective on anything with an exoskeleton.

Fair Winds,

Bill

8. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    i saw on here the someone was using the hanging vanilla scented deodorizer. said it helped.

just a thought for you outdoor bbq'ers, i set up incense the other day when we were cooking outside, believe it or not, the flies were no where to be found after i started it going on the tables.

i have also read that cedar is not good for younger birds, causes respiratory problems

9. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    the only thing I've ever caught in the sticky traps is my cat, a toad, and my cat again. and myself. I'm sure my birds would somehow get themselves caught in one if I ever put it in the coop. Peanut butter is supposed to make the glue release, but you have to catch the cat first.

1 person likes this.
  10. joeyg4583

joeyg4583 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Brighton
    I haven't tried this yet but I have heard hanging a french vanilla car air freshener christmas tree thingy helps. I am going to try it when my coop is finished up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by