flies in the coop help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken42626, Jul 7, 2016.

1. chicken42626

chicken42626 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    i have a lot of flies in the coop i change to coop every other day i use pig shaving i have 2 older chicken and 4 toddle home idea or something that cost very little

2. Dgrundy14

Dgrundy14 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2016
    Leeds, Alabama
    I'm a newbie to the chicken world but I read to hang a paper vanilla car freshener in the top of the coop. So far that has worked for me but I clean the coop a lot too!

3. dustcover

dustcover Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    Take a canning type jar, put about two inches of sugar-water or simple syrup in it. Then place a funnel in it so the bottom of the funnel does not touch the water. Hang it in a flower pot hanger or place it on a candle type sconce attached to the wall of the coop. Flies are attracted and fly down into the funnel but can't fly out. They eventually die and fall into the fluid.

It works miraculously to minimize flies.

4. hayutfan

hayutfan Just Hatched

Jun 19, 2016
    I'm having problems with flies as well are there any type of plants that would reduce the smell or keep flies away?

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I might be spelling this wrong but the flower called merry gold repels flys, and bugs and the chickens can eat the petals. (Safe) they are inexpensive and are usually sold as groundcover in flats. The flower is orange or yellow. I know the origional orange kind repels the bugs. They can be planted around the coop and run. Hope this helps.

6. hayutfan

hayutfan Just Hatched

Jun 19, 2016
    Yes thank you I have heard of those . I'm going to Lowes tomorrow for some things so I will get them. Thank u

7. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
  8. hayutfan

hayutfan Just Hatched

Jun 19, 2016
    I clean it often and it's been pretty dry here. I will look for those bags.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by