1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

flies in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChuckenGirl, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    we have a coop and run that is on broken gravel, rocks and dirt. [they LOVEE it!!] and in the run there is ALOT of flies and i clean it out every two days and they free range so it cant be their poopie so what is it? what can i do? is it bad for them? I put some woodshavings on the ground in the run, it helped some but not alot. so what do i do?

2. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    I know some people dont like them.We use fly bags they are pretty gross when you take down but they work good i think.just my opionion

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I actually use those silly old fly stripes and believe it or not they work. I had a fly problem last year bought a few thought what the heck they can't hurt. I think they are about 25 cents each? They do a good job.

Good luck

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

The following products can be used on the ground safely in conjunction with fly strips or bags-
    Stall Dri
    Stable Boy
    Diatomaceous Earth(food grade)

Should reduce numbers of flies hatched/attracted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by