FLIES!!! LOTS OF THEM

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by thotchkiss60, Apr 8, 2012.

1. thotchkiss60

thotchkiss60 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Hello All!

i am having a problem with lots of flies in my run area. I clean it out every day and still there are flies. I have tried fly traps and organic pesticide spray. It only helps for a little bit. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions? Thanks!

Tim

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    I don't have any particular answer. But i looked on youtube and seems like they have tons of different homemade ones outta 2 liter coke bottles and such.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Put some dried leaves in the run. looks good, smells good and the flies can't get to the soil.
    I always put leaves out befor the rain where the hens hang out and lay , helps keep the eggs from getting dirty and the area stay cleaner
    Now if they are all over the coup after that i don't know what you could do.

4. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    let the chicken deal with them they love them

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Since you don't free range your fowl, get some Golden Malrin at the feed store. It's a fly bait used in stables. No good if it gets wet, but deadly. I have sprinkled a few pieces on a stinky open garbage can and couldn.t believe the pile of dead flies. Kills instantly, but dangerous for animals. Be carefull........Pop

6. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Pop, I do free range my birds in my yard a bit, not to jack the thread, but do you think Marin would be ok if it were in a chicken-free container?

7. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I hear from several sources that the deep litter method will help control the flies because it allows the fly predators to live. Gail Damerow (Storey's guide to taking care of chickens) specifically says that cleaning your run too much will allow the fly population to explode. I haven't had chickens long enough to answer from experience.

8. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Muscovy ducks are very helpful ... [​IMG]

ETA I have also had good luck with diatomaceous earth. Yes, I know it's usefulness is widely debated, but I can only tell you my experience. Muscovies and DE are a great combo and it won't hurt the birds to eat some of the DE, either.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  9. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    A guinea will take care of this problem. Most people buy guineas for this reason.

10. hoofservant

hoofservant New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    SE MI
    Guineas will also take care of tick issues, if you have them, and help cut down on the mosquito population. Sadly, mine keep leaving, so I have to keep replacing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by