1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flies no more!! Found the perfect fly repellent.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I think I might have read this on a thread here, but wanted to shout it from the barn top. We were having a horrible time with flies and nothing seemed to help much, including the stinky fly traps.

I bought several packages of vanilla scented "christmas trees" like you put in your car. I hung one in each pen, one on the back porch and one on the front porch of the house....and we don't have anymore flies. I thought maybe it was a fluke so I didn't post right away...but it's been over 2 weeks now and still no flies.

We do use DE and Stall Dry in the coops in addition to the vanilla air fresheners. I guess the flies hate the smell of it as much as I do. [​IMG] I'm not crazy about vanilla scented stuff but I'll sure tolerate it if it keeps the flies away. [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    WHERE DO I BUY THEM????

I'll buy a couple of dozen tomorrow!!!

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I got them at my local Walgreens but you can probably get them all auto parts stores...plus I'm sure Wal-Mart has them. I swear it's like a miracle!

1 person likes this.
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Gonna try this! Thanks!

5. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    I've always heard (and seen) people with fly problems use water filled ziploc or some other clear bags hung up. I think the flies see their own reflection and then fly away!!!

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    We have the plastic bag fly traps hanging up and they do work pretty well. There is some stinking stuff in them, though and they will just about make you gag. But we still had flies inside the pens/coops until we hung up the air fresheners.

7. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    ooh I gota try this!!!!

anything for mosquitoes??????

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Come to think of it, I don't remember hearing any mosquitoes buzzing around when I was out in the coops.

BUT, my DH calls me "sweet meat" because they swarm all over me, eating me up when they leave him alone. So, I usually put insect repellent on before I go out outside at all in the warm weather.

9. GratefulGreens

GratefulGreens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Good to know it's tried and true!

10. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Very interesting! What made you think to try that? Sometimes the silliest things work, but how in the world did you come up with that? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by