1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flies OOC!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rachelrulz, Apr 4, 2012.

1. rachelrulz

rachelrulz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    There is a rapidly growing population of flies surrounding the coop in huge "swarms". I forgot to mention that they are huge. Look at your thumbnail, that's about how big they are! They don't seem to physically harm my chickens in any way but they are EVERYWHERE.

How do I get rid of them?????

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    put the chicken coop in the sun, that will minimize the dampness(which causes flies to come)

3. rachelrulz

rachelrulz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    There's only one problem...I can't move the coop. It's built on top of a wooden structure secured in concrete :(

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I like those little plastic bag disposable fly traps for outside. Put them about 3 feet high and in the shade.

I like the sticky tapes for inside. They have to be away from sun and dust. If you have chickens, you must figure out some way to keep the hens away from them.

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    go get those car fresheners, the Christmas trees you hang on the mirror, in the vanilla scent. Bye-bye flies! there are a couple of threads about the vanilla Christmas trees and they really work! They smell better than those stinky plastic bag fly traps [​IMG] I use the vanilla Christmas trees in my coop and NO flies! You could always get a bug zapper and hang it in the run, extra snacks for the girls lol

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2. I've used the Christmas tree vanilla fresheners and they seemed to deter flies nicely. Also, you can add sand to you pen/run to help keep it dry. Sand also deters flies and other insects as well.

7. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    a handful of food grade DE will kill them. get in the habit of a cup ful in a 50 pound bag of feed. chickens pass it through and their waste will have it in there.

8. RCRIR

RCRIR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Did not work for me -- I think this is a wives-tale :)

9. RCRIR

RCRIR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    DE is only effective when dry.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by