Flies outside coop- should I worry?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hudson, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Hudson

Hudson In the Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    Now that it is getting really hot here in Georgia I am seeing alot of flies outside of my coop. I have hung a couple of no pest strips outside of the coop but it does not seem to make any difference. Should I be concerned or will the chickens just take care of the problem themselves? Do chickens eat flies? I know that they eat all other types of bugs. There is not any rotting or other types of food outside the coop, anything I do give them is consumed immediately.

Thanks for any info!

2. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    Unfortunately, flies are a part of living in the south it seems! I never really have a problem with flies since I'm an organic gardener (don't know if that has all that much to do with it). I think it's more to do with the fact that I use DE lightly sprinkled in the coop and run and Stall Dry when it gets wet. Seems to be the consensus here at BYC that both go a long way in controlling flies and smell (dries the poop out fast!).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  3. mominoz

mominoz Songster

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I live in Ga. too. There are several things you can do. Buy those flycatching bags at Wally-world, They really catch tons,(do smell a bit). The more you catch the fewer eggs they will lay. The strips are more of an inside thing. Get fly predators, buy it's pricey. I found they made a huge difference , because I have horses too. Flys breed in manure and the predators eat the fly eggs. I spend about 17.95 , the minimum amount. I figure something is better than nothing. There are local cows and horse, and I don't think they do anything, but at least I am trying. They also really hatch after it rains ....
    I find the bags work better than the plastic cans do.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: