FLIES......ugggg

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cozycrestmom, Aug 28, 2010.

1. cozycrestmom

cozycrestmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    We just brought our pigs to the "market".. lol,,,, There are sooo many flies.. they shared a space with our chicks... Now that they are gone, I Cleaned out the pig pen, drying it out, but how, for the love of pete, do we get rid of all those flies... I've read about cloves,, apple cider vinager mixed with pine sol and water spray,,, or sprinkling ag. lime on the floor of the pig pen...
    Has anyone here tried any of these.. I want to know what works best..? I don't want to waste time with something that really doesn't work as well and as fast as another..
    I don't want my little darling chickens being bothered by the fliles...
    Any ideas ? ? ?[​IMG]

2. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Try diatomaceous earth (I bought mine at the feed store). Spread a bit over the manure. It should help dry things up and should kill the maggots (which will eliminate the flies).

3. fancy

fancy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    we have no flies because we get fly predators monthly. Spalding Labs has a website where you can learn about htem, we live in south florida and the flies were terrible because of our horses, but now it's a tropical paradise at my house.

4. cozycrestmom

cozycrestmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Thanks you two.. I am going to look the both of them up....!

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Did you read the thread about the VANILLA scented Christmas tree car fresheners?? Might be cost prohibitive in a pig pen, but it worked in my house! Just hang them up and watch the flies disappear!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. fancy

fancy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    do the vanilla scented christmas trees send away anything else like mosquitos? we are overrun with them

7. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Fly predators wont be able to do anything about existing flies. You have to start with them in the spring and continue all summer. I use them, too, because we have 2 horses but between the fly predators and my chickens free ranging in the pasture at their will, I don't have a bad fly problem. I don't know what you can do about the flies this year, but if you will have pigs again next year, then definitely try the fly predators.

8. oldchickenlady

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Quote:Make sure you don't have anything around that will hold rain water (old tires, buckets, etc) that mosquitos breed in. If you are in a swampy area than there is not much you can do. If you have a pond, then I think adding minnows will help...they eat the mosquito larvae. Or there may be something to treat your pond with to kill them, I am not sure.

9. fancy

fancy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    thanks oldchickenlady, we live in soggy south florida with canals all around! my pond is teeming with fishes who think skeeter larvae are soooooo delicious. wish i had more control but...there it is, you pay a price for paradise.

I love this forum, it's unbelievable how much everybody knows, i myself am a newbie to the chicken husbandry.

10. oldchickenlady

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Well, it is a shame you cant get the gators to eat mosquitos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by