1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

flies vs my ceiling fan

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by agnes_day, Nov 21, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    ok..for whatever reason, there is a group of flies that are obsessed with my ceiling fan..they congregate on it, buzz all around it and wont leave it alone..i finally decided to turn it on to see if that would deter them, and they are now trying to get past the blades to get to the fan..it wasnt really dirty anyways but i had my tallest son clean the entire thing with bleach water, and they still wont stay away!
    what could be going on? i am wondering where they came from anyways.

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Same thing happening here. [​IMG] Those little buggers are getting in before the cold weather sets in. [​IMG]

3. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    is it shiny?

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Is it cold where you live? I bet they are trying to hibernate inside the fan for the winter [​IMG] ..(i think flies hibernate anyway...lol.. maybe they dont though..)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  5. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    its not been very cold..it is shiny though..but still..what is up there that is worth risking getting hit by ceiling fan blades?? something is up, thats for sure.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    could anything be dead inside the fan motor?? [​IMG]

7. Illinoisgal

Illinoisgal New Egg

Mar 23, 2014
    I have the same problem! It is baffling!! My ceiling fan does not have lights and we have sprayed the fan with Raid and the flies come back and swarm around the ceiling fan chain.

8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I've not had this problem, but what if you hung a short fly tape from the fan? I know, not very pretty, but maybe it would eliminate the flies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by