Flies!!!! What do I do????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RachaelS, Oct 12, 2011.

1. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Flies are taking over! I clean the coop once a weeks but they are everywhere! Does DE help? What else can I use???? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You know, I was panicking over the same thing earlier this year. I tried everything in the book from cleaning more often, to DE, to pine shavings, etc.

And don't you know it, one day in WalMart I saw fly tape. I could have sat there for an hour banging my forehead against the wall. It's cheap, it's easy, it's super effective, and it's a time-honored solution.

Hope that helps, you're not alone!

3. RachaelS

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Wow just regular fly tape??? Would not have thunk it [​IMG] thanks!

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

What worked best for me was trying to prevent as many flies from hatching. I raked up poop from under the roosts every day and kept the ground sprinkled with DE. The rakings from my coop and goat barn all go on a manure pile which gets removed totally once a week so I kept that sprinkled thoroughly with DE as well. I had very, very few flies.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:x2!

6. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    We use fly predators I the goat and horse barns. We started three yrs ago and get them delivered 10 months a year. We are down to having very few flies ever.

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Vanilla extract or the car deodorizers that have real vanilla in them will deter flies. DE works, but it takes time and you need to start fresh.

8. RachaelS

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Quote:What fly predators do you use?

9. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
  10. StevieNacole

StevieNacole Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Guthrie, Oklahoma
    We are having major fly problems too. We keep our doors and windows open and they are in the house! It's crazy....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by