Flies!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hispoptart, Sep 15, 2019.

1. hispoptart

hispoptart Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    The flies in my coop and run are becoming unbearable. Even after cleaning it out and laying fresh pine shavings. I read a post from someone who used permethin spray to get rid of mites and it also killed the flies. I found and bought this yesterday, but now I don't know if it's safe to use. If I spray the ground and wait for it to dry before letting them out, will it harm them if they eat something that has been sprayed? Thanks.
    IMG_20190915_081702724.jpg

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

I would treat the walls but not the ground.

And note, I'm not sure if that one is labeled for use ON chickens as it appears to have other active ingredients aside from just permethrin.

@Texas Kiki got any input here? TIA

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  4. Rietta

Rietta Songster

Jan 3, 2019
    East Texas
    I use those stinky recue fly trap bags outside around the run. Its worth the hundreds of flies they catch. Use disposable if you do cause they smell. I have not tried any other brand as rescue works for me.

5. hispoptart

hispoptart Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Ok so this does not say for use on chickens, so should I just spray the walls and not the ground? Thanks

6. Texas Kiki

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I'd spray EVERYthing.

7. hispoptart

hispoptart Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Ok thank you. Right now they are taking turns in the nest box, so I will lock them up after they are done and spray outside, then after it dries I will spray inside an lock them out till it dries.

8. Texas Kiki

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Five minutes is long enough...until the spray settles.

9. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Free Ranging

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Another way to help control them is to make traps. Cut the top off a plastic soda bottle so that it fits down in a mason jar. Put a piece of tape around it to hold the inverted bottle neck to the jar. Just like with a minnows trap, flys go in the big bottle hole but can't find their way out the little hole. Drop in a small piece of raw meat, honey, or even poo if that's what the flys are attracted to. Once it fills up, you can dump it out for the birds to eat.

10. hispoptart

hispoptart Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Ok thank you. Right now they are taking turns in the nest box, so I will lock them up after they are done and spray outside, then after it dries I will spray inside an lock them out till it dries.
    Ok thanks, that's good to know as the coop is just a small pre-fab one and they hate being locked in the tiny run area it has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: