Flies

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
They are horrible. Is there a way to convince them to go away?

We have 2 ducks and their house is hosed out daily and for ducks, they are pretty darn clean.
But we live between 2 pastures with a few horses and around farm land. So fly central.

I have a lovely yellow sticky thing hanging over my sink. Lovely.
Another hanging outside the back door and a sticky tape on the screen door out back.

What I really really really want... to keep the flies off my screen door so they don't all come in when I try to go out.
If we have the slider closed, no flies, but it is nice out, want to have the door open and the cooler air come in. But that means flies all over the screen waiting to invade.

How do we persuade them to stay away??

Do a google search on Flies and learn what environment they live in and try to make it so the conditions for them is not right.

You may want to keep the coop dry and dust with DE. You can even dust around the yard too.

I wish you the best,

Rancher

Read elsewhere on BYC that those vanilla tree fragrance thingies for cars worked. Search it and see what they say.

Is there any sort of repellent I could put on my skin? They're always landing on my face and arms when I'm out walking in summer!
th.gif

Smash a few cloves of garlic, and boil them. When it cools, pour it into a spray bottle. You can spray it on the screen, or around in the coop, and it repels them. It also repels vampires, and neighbors. We keep gallons of it!! It doesn't keep all the flies away, not a miracle cure, but you will see a difference.

The vanilla scented auto fresheners in the Christmas tree shape REALLY work! I keep them hanging in the coop, 8'x7' and I use 3 of them. Seldom have flies. I also grow garlic chives in the garden. I pick a few leaves, crush them and rub them on my skin or clothes. It repels mosquitoes. I guess it repels flies too since I don't have any land on me.

Will have to give the garlic thing a try.

And is it only the tree shaped car fresheners that work or any vanilla scented ones? I'll hang one in the duck house so I don't get bombarded by flies when I open the roof to clean it in the morning.

If you are having an issue of flies in the house I have come across an incredibly effective and simple fly trap.

You need a mason jar with ring or rubber band. A piece of plastic wrap. Apple juice.

I put about 1/2 inch or maybe a bit less of apple juice in the bottom of the jar. Covered top with plastic wrap and secured with the canning ring (can use rubber band), then poked 2 smallish holes in plastic wrap. Then set it under the hood on the stove near the kitchen sink, with the hood light on.

I should be embarrassed to tell you how many flies it attracted and trapped within about an hour, but I am just so happy it worked!

Make sure you set it away from where you are because it will attract them to the trap.

I have a solution!!! (I'm so excited because I usually come here with questions....for once I think I can be helpful!)

Try Fly Predators from Spalding Labs.

http://www.spalding-labs.com/

I use them and they work. They are not expensive for me because I only have backyard chickens, it might be more for the horses situation.

Here are some tips.

1) Do not use the online calculator to determine use. Pick up the phone and call them. There is a minimum that the calculator will give you and it might not be accurate. My "phone" price was waaaaaaay less than the "online calculator" price.

2) Your horse neighbors probably don't like the flies either. Maybe you could all try it together and see if it makes a big difference that everyone's happy with. A group effort with a common cause.

3) If you recommend a friend, Spalding with send you extra free Predators with your next order. You could figure out how to make it work between the three of you so that someone gets free Predators. It would help in the "keeping things friendly" department.

4) On that note, if you (or any of you who care to give this a try) happen to mention my name (Kat Gold) I would get free flies for recommending you. You certainly don't have to do it, but if you do let me thank you in advance.
big_smile.png

5) You need to follow the instructions to the letter. Once your Predators are in place, let them be. Don't dig around or wash them away. I made that mistake and had to get new flies.

You might be thinking that the Predators won't work for you because you and your ducks are clean and are not the source of the problem. Even if that's the case, you can put Predators around your property line and they will find your neighbors' flies. You should see an improvement by treating your yard.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom