Flight netting run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by IRL, Jun 12, 2011.

1. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi
    Does anybody have pics of a coop and run like this? It's a coop surrounded by a wooden post fence covered in welded wire, with flight netting as a roof over the fence and coop.
    Thanks

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Not exactly, but sort of:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seemed to be working well to keep the eagles, owls, and hawks (including the small ones) out. But then, of course, we let our guard down and lost a couple of ducks and chickens(in the bigger ('messier' [​IMG]:) pen) to raccoons (or skunks or opossums). We should be able shore up the fence that was the problem, but I'll still feel the need to lock them in their 'safe' houses every night.

I know there are probably better examples here somewhere. I searched and found some before we did this.

3. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I dont have the wooden post part but everything else [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
  5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You will need to lock down since a coon will crawl over the fence and rip thru the net. Also be sure th skirt the bottom of the fence for daytime diggers like fox and dogs

6. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Quote:You're right about the lock down advice. It's funny (or not!), how just when you think you've got one predator licked, another one rears it's ugly head.

Our biggest problem here is with eagles, they are so brazen you'd think we were living in Alaska. I used to let my birds free range when we were home, but now I can only do it when we are actually out in the yard with them. Even then, there are four eagles who will circle in lower and lower until I start flying around the yard waving an old hockey stick while I madly try to shoosh the birds back into their pens. It's like the eagles think we're their own personal refrigerator.

p.s. liked your signature line quote!

7. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Thanks

8. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    I took this photo from the boys tree house. It has a chicken wire walls with 4 x 4 posts and 2 x 4 stringers. The diggers are kept out (and weeds too) on bottom with 2 x 2 inch square welded wire nailed into the bottom stringer, plastic sheeting underneath it and river rock stacked on top of it. The roof of the run has heavy wire every 18 inches made into a grid attached to the perimeter top stringer. I made the bird netting into one huge piece using upholstery thread. I lay it across the top and secured it to the wire at every intersection with wire ties. It is pulled fairly taught. The birds ARE locked up at night. I have not had any losses yet although I know lots of folks say the netting keeps the birds about as safe as a person in the woods thinking a tent keeps grizzlies out. I have high winds here (like it has torn off the garage roof twice and snapped off our 20 foot flagpole twice but this done well enough to stay intact.
    [​IMG]

9. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Quote:I haven't had any problems with coons climbing all the wawy to the top of the pen and ripping through the nett when they can just dig their way under. I haven't had any problems. (yet) hope I dont jinxs myself [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by