flight netting-where to buy?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dinahmoe, Dec 21, 2010.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    hello,
    i have 4 different covered coops and yards.the pens are enclosed in a yard that is 6 ft chain link.i want to cover that area with flight netting so they can be turned loose during the day while i am home.i am only wanting to keep out hawks as they are shut up at night and protected from dogs/coons during the day from the hot wire at the bottom and top of the chain link.any ideas on where the best place to get some?it is a large area and i know it will cost but i just want it to be quality.the netting on my kids trampoline cost $300 and lasted only a year before it dry rotted(i guess).i don't mind paying as long as it lasts.we have very cold winters(to me) and very long hot summers and it will be in the sun.

someone had mentioned the fishing line looking stuff for fruit trees?any thoughts on this?

thanks for any info.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Cheapest and most durable is chicken wire. It can be ordered in rolls of 8 ft x 100 ft . Problem is, it must be laced together. It will keep out hawks and owls, but not coons. So you should electrify your run as well. See 'My BYC Page'. Some netting can be bought that comes in rolls of 25' x 50 ' or even 25' x 100'.

gerry

3. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    these are pictures after i built the first one.there is 3 more pens like this.the coops and runs are predator proof except for snakes.the top is covered with kennel wire and the bottom 2 ft is trimmed in chicken wire with 1ft buried under ground..i used to let them free range until we had a hawk visit.i am enclosing the surrounding area of all 4 pens with chain link and netting to let them free range(kinda) again only when i am home with them.i only need it to keep out hawks.if something tries to get in overnight by chewing or tearing it,i will be checking before any birds are turned out just to make sure.

in the first picture i am going down to the tub and back around with chain link and netting,i know it will be costly that is why i want it to last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
  5. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    http://www.amazon.com/Netting-Bird-Poultry-Aviary-Game/dp/B001W2AG2M/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1292976027&sr=8-10

I
    got this stuff this fall, so I don't know how well it will hold up. It is 50x50 and is about $50 counting the shipping.

It has a hard feel to it, and it is twisted nylon multifilliment. We will see how well it holds up. I ran cord around the perimeter of it and then fastened the cord and net to the existing chain link fence.

edit: I can post a picture of it in place if you like (but it is a lousy picture).

6. Farmington

Farmington Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    I bought my Toprite netting from Cutler's Supply. Reasonably priced, and quality netting. You may want to check their E-Bay store. I paid $40.00 for 2" x 12' x 25' heavy woven netting.

If you've never worked with the stuff before, it can be frustrating getting it stretched evenly. We used hog rings, and fence staples to attach it to the pen, and coop. So far, it has held up great under the weight of the snow. If it starts to pile up real heavy, I shake it off.

As far as how long a life it has, you could probably get 7 years out of it under ideal conditions.

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Quote:This is what i have...It has been up a couple years...still in great condition...I would get more if my wife would let me have more pens. Be prepared when you get it...it comes all rolled and twisted real nice...it is kinda wild getting it up and all that...easy but kinda everywhere

8. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Oh yes. It is really wound up tight. I was delighted when I got home from an appointment and my DH had gotten it started by stretching it out over the area. We had to go over a tree, and he rigged a line from the peak of the coop roof to a pole on the other end of the run in line with the little tree.

Quote:This is what i have...It has been up a couple years...still in great condition...I would get more if my wife would let me have more pens. Be prepared when you get it...it comes all rolled and twisted real nice...it is kinda wild getting it up and all that...easy but kinda everywhere

9. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    thanks guys,i'll start checking them out.[​IMG]

10. 3dogs

3dogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    southern CA
    I bought mine from http://3tproducts.com. I needed the 50'x100' size to cover my approximately 40'x90' chicken yard. It hasn't been up a year yet, but seems to be handling the sun, rain and wind well so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by