1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

flight

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tuesdays chicks, Oct 26, 2010.

1. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    what age do coturnix start flying, do they fly as soon as they get their wing feathers.

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    They start JUMPING at a few days old. They are excellent jumpers! They start getting wing feathers at around 5 days, so that adds height to their powerful jump. I'm not sure of the exact reason for the question, but put a top on the brooder on day 1. It will save much heart ache. [​IMG]

In general terms coturnix prefer to run away, and are not all that flighty compared to other quail species, but if they want pop and fly, they can give you a run for your money. Best to keep them contained from day 1. [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:X2

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    13 days was what it took my first ever quail Stella to fly...well...he did something silly, got his foot stuck in his playpen and fractured his distil tibia. I frantically took him to the vet and he was in a cast for a long time...Now he has a bumb leg and is missing a wing (the wing because a racoon or oppossum attacked his harem and left him behind when I came out with the broom). Coturnix are fast growers needless to say [​IMG] and strong boogers since my Stella is still with me in my bedroom [​IMG]

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Wow quail lady do you keep him by himself or with others, I'm trying to decide whether to breed my yellow chick later or skip it since they seem to have a high mortality rate, I would like to keep the chick because its different then the rest

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I gave Stella a lady for his 4th birthday last year. She is a Jumbo and broke her leg so they were a match. Named her Cinderella. Now Stella is a Pharaoh so it's a funny looking couple [​IMG]
    I am hoping to get some of Shelley's little birds for Stella. He is a very calm little bird and doesn't do well with a huge group of birds. I think he has anxiety from the racoon attack. He flips out when he sees a raccon stuffed animal or my grandma's nonsense. Any other animal is fine. That is why he lives in my bedroom, plus he is a very quiet boy and doesn't crow unless he wants something from me. [​IMG] I love that bird.

ETA: Grandma's dog isn't a nonsense...it is a shizzzuu [​IMG] Maybe that works if I type it lol

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by