1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flighty behavior

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThiefPouter06, Sep 10, 2008.

1. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    Do the flightier breeds (white egg layers) also have problems with roosting in trees as opposed to the coop? I really like buttercups,red caps, leghorns etc. and I dont mind having wild chickens but I dont want to have to knock them out of the trees every night.

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I don't know what others have experienced... but our Buttercup hen and our Brown Leghorn roo always slept on the roosts in the barn at night.

If you train them as chicks, I think it is probably easier.

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've had a pretty good assortment of mediterranean and american birds, and none of them roosted in trees. Leghorns, minorcas, hamburgs, orps, turkens, EE's... all went to the henhouse at night. The only ones I had that we had to chase off the top of the henhouse were some we got as adults who had always free ranged and never had a henhouse before coming to us.

4. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    thanks all. My game hens are adults and came from some one who let his chickens have free range and didnt lock them up at night. So now I see the problem. Good I really want a flock of white ear lobes lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by