Flighty birds

Peringle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
How do you guys get your chicks to hang out on your arms? Every time I get any where near our chicks they freak out and start jumping up against the cage and try flying away. I would like for them to be calm and approachable. I don't know the breed and can only assume they are approximately 3 weeks old.

Hi there! I'm new to chickens too and have some grown ones but got a few chicks a couple of weeks ago. How long have you had yours? Mine were a bit scared for the first few days but after a week or so they started to get crazy excited when I would go in the room where they are and started to jump all over me of their own volition! I've had them for a little over two weeks now and they go insane when I get near them and fly up to my arms and my head even to perch and chirp! I honestly did nothing to train them to do this; they just like to! My suggestion would be to start slow: just sit with them and make no move to touch them, let them come to you once they feel comfortable. After a few days and they start calming down then you could try to pick them up and set them on your hand (be careful they don't jump off!). Just take it slow. They'll be your buds in no time, I bet! Sorry for writing so much!

Thanks for the reply. I've had them for about two weeks and they freak out every time I get close to them. The only time try well come any where near me is when I have a cherry tomato to give them. As for them jumping or falling off my arm, I'm not worried about that. One of them got loose today and flew off the second floor balcony and was on the run for six hours before she was caught. She's fine just a little mad that she got caught. I'm gonna finish their run over the next few days to give me some room to sit with while they are running around. Right now they live in a Large dog kennel. There's only two of them and they are still pretty small so they have enough room. Hopefully once they are in the run and coop they will calm down.

Back
Top Bottom