Flinging the bedding in the water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chillychick, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Chillychick

Chillychick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    My 2 week old chicks keep scratching around the waterer and they get the bedding in the waterer so much it soaks up all the water. I don't know how to stop this. I am using Aspen bedding. It just completely soaks up the water and clogs the waterer so no more can come out until I clean it. Any suggestions?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Put something under your water to raise it up slightly. Make sure it is not so high that the chicks can't easily drink but if it is up off the ground a little they can't kick in all the bedding every time they move around. Be sure the water is still very stable and can not be knocked over easily.

3. Chillychick

Aug 15, 2012
    Thank you. I will try it.

4. Ziegenhof

Ziegenhof Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Same thing I do!

Usually take a 1x6 or 2x6 depending on size of birds and cut it to about a foot long. Sit water on board and it helps keep the bedding out of the water (unless your raising guinea keets and they can fling bedding 3 feet in the air).

5. Chillychick

Aug 15, 2012
    That is exactly what I did. Found two scraps of wood in the yard. Worked perfect. Thank you for your help. Glad none of them are guineas.[​IMG]

6. Carebearsmiles

Carebearsmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Tahlequah
    Was wondering the same thing.
    Thanks for the info!

7. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    I put the water on a brick to raise it. It does not keep all the aspen bedding out but much more than when it was on the floor. I still check it a couple times a day though to take out the bedding that they kick into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by