Flip or not to flip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken stalker, May 14, 2009.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I'm on day seven so I candeled my eggs. The air sacs seem to be on the small end on almost all my eggs! They were shipped and they are standing upright (pointy end down) in an auto turner. Should I flip them over or lay them on thier side or wait until day 18 to change them????? This is sooo frusterating!

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    a very good question. I lost two in my last hatch that had air cells at the wrong end . . . I wonder if that is what is meant by detached air cell??? I left mine pointy end down but again I lost them.

3. chicken stalker

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    the air cell isn't moving around...so I don't think it's detached. Anyone have this problem....HELP

4. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Is this your 1st time incubating ?

5. chicken stalker

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    no

I candled the eggs before I set them. I couldn't really see the air cell so I just put them all pointy end down. Now that it is day seven, the air cell is well developed but in the wrong end.

6. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Someone beat me to it....

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  7. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Are you sure it is the aircell you are seeing and not just an undeveloped area of the egg? It's hard to imagine that all the air cells could be on the wrong ends.

8. chicken stalker

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I'm pretty sure....the big end is all yoke with lots of veins. I can see a distinct boundary, then the air cell in the small end. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

9. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Pics would be good. I'll watch for your posts.

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    If that IS where the air cell is then yes, either on their sides or air cell UP. When I have a deviant cell from shipping I tend to do them flat, figuring I can't actually determine what the little bugger will do and that that position is much closer to nature.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by