flirting with broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okiemamachick, Feb 12, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Hi all! I was wondering is there a difference in the sitting position a hen will be in when laying versus when broody? I have a hen that I've caught sitting in the "favorite" nesting box and she was all flat and she pecked me when I tried to move her. So I left her alone and she finally came out 3 hours later I chalked it up to maybe she's a slow layer or something then this morning she was again on the nest so I budged her off and she didn't peck me but she paced back and forth and cackled and me like she was absolutely distraught that she was moved from the two eggs (hers from that morning and another from and different hen from that morning) I left the eggs and tend she hopped back on so I left her with them and went to work I come home and tend to 4 and she out free ranging with the flock. Is she flirting with being broody or am I reading too much into this behavior? When she's sitting she flattens herself out she looks like she's melting lol

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

She may set there for an hour before she lays the egg, and set there for some time after.

She may be contemplating being broody- I don't know- but when she turns broody there will be no seeing her later in the day wandering around and not getting back on the nest quickly. She will also probably stop laying when that happens.

3. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the reply I will watch for further sitting and I apologize for all the random words/misspelled words in my op I'm on my phone and don't have a proper keyboard lol

4. ChickensAreSweet

You are welcome!

I didn't even notice misspellings LOL.

5. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Well its mostly wrong auto corrects in my defense lol

6. ChickensAreSweet

Auto corrects - oh those....I can't stand auto correct.

But still, better here on auto correct than surfing yahoo news LOL.

More fun! :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  7. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Too true!

8. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    She could well be flirting with the idea. I've had many hens who go back and forward to the nest for days prior to hunkering down to brood. That being said I also have some hens who will sit for an hour before and after laying, so the question is: Is this normal behaviour for her?

If she usually lays her eggs quite quickly and then leaves the nest, I would suspect she may be having a bit of a broody spell. You will certainly know for sure if you come home to find a flattened out, growling pancake on the nest!

That being said, not all broody hens are little balls of fire. I've had a few who puffed themselves up like a porcupine, but loved being patted and baby talked to! They turned into big sooks! Once the chicks hatched though, it was a different story. The sookiest hen actually turned out to be the fiercest, and actually flew up into my face to protect her chicks whilst I was putting out feed and water!

Good luck with her. Sounds like you may be heading for some fun times!

- Krista

9. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    A laying chicken sits up higher because they stand up while laying the egg whereas a broody chicken sits low & spreads out to cover the eggs and looks like a feathered pancake with a head & tailfeathers sticking up. The tell is when they get off the nest; a regular chicken acts normal while a broody chicken walks around all puffed up & softly saying " buk...buk...buk...buk...buk"

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Is she a new layer? New layers can drive you nuts, hanging out in the box all blessed day.

If you're wanting her to go broody, I'd bait the nest and see what happens. I have enough eggs I use real eggs, mark them with a sharpie and leave them in the nest. You can use fake eggs, golf balls, whatever. I don't worry about behavior during the day, it's night that I go by. A hen that sets on the nest two nights in a row, and is on the nest during the day, gets eggs to hatch. I've rarely had a broody come off once she's been on two nights in a row. After those two nights, remove the bait eggs and give her the eggs you want her to hatch. Or, leave something for bait (not eggs) and plan to put day old chicks under her in ~3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by