1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Float test and delayed hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sophiajw23, Mar 21, 2011.

1. sophiajw23

sophiajw23 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Northern California
    My second batch of chicks was "due" last Friday. 5 babys hatched out of 12 shipped eggs. I kept the unhatched eggs in the incubator just incase. Sunday one more hatched. Did the float test and they all floated with only the tip above water. That means they are still good right? How long do I keep them in for? It would kill me to crack one open and find a living chick.

2. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Just cause they float doesnt mean they are still alive. It just means they developed and have an air sack. Did they bob around uring the float test? The movement tells you theya re still alive in the egg.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hmm... If none had hatched, I'd say there was a good chance your temps were a bit low, and to keep them in and wait a bit. But if six of them have already hatched, and they're all the same breed and from the same parent birds, I'd say it's probably not likely you're going to get any more out. That one on Sunday was probably the 'late' one and the last one that's going to hatch. If you float an overdue egg and the chick is wriggling around inside and trying to hatch, the egg would be jumping and bouncing around and you'd see lots of ripples in the water.

By all means leave them in the bator a bit longer, it won't do any harm. Some folk have had chicks hatch out as late as day 27, I think...

4. sophiajw23

Feb 22, 2011
    Northern California
    I will redo the float test tonight and watch for movement. I don't think they were moving

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If they're not moving, it doesn't always mean for definite that they're not alive in there.
    But at this stage, if they were alive and healthy, I'd be expecting to see some major ripples.

You do know that 6/12 is actually a really good hatch rate for shipped eggs?

6. sophiajw23

Feb 22, 2011
    Northern California
    I know!!!! I was so excited!! Our first hatch was 2/7 so I'm glad it's improved. I'm a natural lol. I'm so addicted!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by