float test - confused!

ccusker

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 27, 2010
Hi all...I am BRAND NEW to this and really botched my first hatch attempt. I have one sad little egg left that is due to hatch now (yesterday actually). I did the float test after reading another post with similar issues. My egg floated about 15% above water - that means viable right? But there was NOOOOO movement and I even snuck a quick candling in while drying it off and what I saw was really weird. The edges near the air sac are all uneven - almost like a splatter if that makes sense. There is no evidence of an internal pip and also no signs of movement or peeping. I stuck it back in the incubator and said a few prayers! Anyone have any insight into what's going on with my little egg? I have a horrible feeling it's dead, but float test indicates it may be alive...can you tell I'm attached to this egg? Ha! ANY advice would be appreciated! - I know, sit on my hands!

I had this very same thing happen the other night AND about a week ago too. Two different results. The other night - the chick hatched the next day. A week ago, no hatch, opened the egg, dead chick. I think as long as the egg floated high, I would leave it for another couple days and then test again. I never give up until I really have to.

Floating too often can cause delays, as well as opening the Incubator too often....

Ask me how I know.....
smile.png

Good luck with your hatch!

Quote:
I believe you, but I've also had the opposite experience. For eggs that could have been shrunk wrapped due to my constant LG problems, they hatched within a day of doing the test. I read something about this on another site too where it helped moisten the membrane. Different things work for different people/hatches
big_smile.png

Thank you both soooo much. I really hope to be sharing news of a hatch soon! I can't explain to non-chicken people why this is so important to me - glad there are other chicken-lovers to talk to
smile.png
It's gonna be a long couple days!

You're welcome
smile.png
I hear you...I had my humidity drop a couple days ago so I'm sitting here listening to chicks chirp inside their eggs, hoping they aren't shrink wrapped!

Quote:
Me too, Linda.

I thought there were 2 different types of float testing. To see if stored eggs are any good, (toss the ones that float) and checking viability, (toss the ones that float). Nope, not a typo. I thought a developed egg would sink and as the water moves in through the porous shell the chick begins moving, struggling to breathe and adjusting to temp changes.

My understanding is that developing eggs get heavier, not lighter.

But like gryeyes, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong!

Quote:
Yep, that's the same place I found it. On a thread I posted last week regarding this same thing, another person also posted the link and suggested I try it. The first time I had no luck at all, but I re-read everything and used a deep bowl with warm (not hot) - about 100 degree water and it worked. No movement doesn't necessarily mean the embryo is dead - it could be resting. I redid the test on the egg later that day (I got too antsy to wait lol) and it moved that time and started chirping. That night it pipped and hatched out just fine the next day.

This might give you a little more hope - I have read several threads already where eggs have hatched on day 25 and 26. There is really no "set" date for them to hatch. It seems to depend on temp in the incubator a lot. Too hot - they hatch quick, too cool it takes longer, sometimes days longer. Because of this, I give all my eggs till Day 25 now, float test and wait yet another day before opening them.

Just my two cents...but trust me, I know how hard it is to wait and wonder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom