Float Test Photo Analysis

Ayamarans

Hatching
Nov 9, 2021
These eggs are 22 days old. 2 hatched from this batch yesterday. There have been temp and humidity fluctuations. Not over 102 and not under 91. For no more than 3 hours either. I sense that there is nothing about to hatch out of these though so I tried floating them. They seem to be more out of the water than is considered viable. No wobble detected. This is concerning because two eggs that were in a seperate incubator during the volatile temp and humidity of the lockdown incubator did wobble (not pictured but did seem to be sitting lower in the water… less boyant) those said two eggs shared incubation the rest of the time but where kept out of the new to me incubator I started lockdown in. Also, I candled and saw veins/vessels still in some….the veins would detach and float to the perimeter of the air cell if not viable, correct?
I’m not sure, any thoughts??
(yes, water was warm, no pips, and not in for more than a minute)
91936796-1C89-4568-A72D-8F12E066B0D7.jpeg
8A455455-D688-4F20-9160-EC25EBF08016.jpeg

Last edited:
To my knowledge float testing eggs after incubating them isn't a way to test viability. It just cold soaks the poor egg possibly soaking in bacteria to inside of egg shell.

On over due eggs I've taken a good egg light and looked for movement or tell tale signs of life. Then I'll pick one that I might thing is OK and use a needle to open a hole at air sack end. Have a look and if still viable, masking tape the hole and replace into incubator.

I've had a 42 egg 'bator on the shelf for a few years now. I have been lucky enough to raise all I can handle under broody hens. One point I had 5. Sold 4 of them with chicks.... and the day they left I had another go broody on me. 2 broody hens is more than enough.
Yesterday I opened all but the two aforementioned and found nothing living. I had been candeling and the slight shapes were always in the same place and zero movement so I guess the float test was last ditch effort. So bummed. One of the two eggs hatched and the other was also gone like the others. Three healthy (hopefully) survivors.

To my knowledge float testing eggs after incubating them isn't a way to test viability. It just cold soaks the poor egg possibly soaking in bacteria to inside of egg shell.

On over due eggs I've taken a good egg light and looked for movement or tell tale signs of life. Then I'll pick one that I might thing is OK and use a needle to open a hole at air sack end. Have a look and if still viable, masking tape the hole and replace into incubator.

I've had a 42 egg 'bator on the shelf for a few years now. I have been lucky enough to raise all I can handle under broody hens. One point I had 5. Sold 4 of them with chicks.... and the day they left I had another go broody on me. 2 broody hens is more than enough.

Back
Top Bottom