Float tested..and...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by YooHwa, Apr 28, 2011.

1. YooHwa

YooHwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Day 19.
    Still no hatching.
    I got worried so I did float test.
    One was a dud (looked like on day 3) and others seemed all okay (all 10~15 percent out of water level)
    But then, I found an egg that was like 30% out of water..
    So I opened it... and..

There was a chick. fully developed. wing, leg, beak, eyes and everything. but it seemed like it didnt absorbed the yolk well. (it was dead..)
    I was going to take a pic.. but I just couldn't.. [​IMG] and I just couldn't throw it away. So I buried in the backyard..

I put the rest of the eggs in the bator.. but there is no hope... [​IMG]
    I don't think I'll do button quails ever again..

It looks like my first hatch is totally disaster.

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Don't be so discouraged! Sometimes, it's just not meant to be. It's a learning curve, and even mother hens will lose complete hatches, or sometimes they'll abandon a nest that's just a few hours away from hatching and they'll have a nest full of nearly pipped eggs.

Try to think instead of how things can be improved next time. Is there any way you can reduce the times you open the incubator door, to better stabalize temp and humidity? Is there any way that the incubator can be moved to a more stable part of the house temperature wise? Even though it's cool, I really want to move my incubator down to the basement because 1) it's humid enough I wouldn't have to add water and 2) the temperature down there is completely stable, so once I get my bator calibrated I wouldn't have to make even the tiny adjustments for warm days or cooler nights.

3. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Oh don't say that... I have some very fertile buttons, and as far as I can tell active little eggs. If I get too many for my bator do you want some?

4. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Aww your post brought tears to my eyes. I've been through a rough spell with my eggs/incubator/hatches...and I'm frankly, not doin so hot with it. I wanted to give up too, but there are so many words of encouragement on here... people are just really supportive..it helps get you through it. It's still going to suck when it doesn't work out...but try try again. Eventually, we'll get it right!

[​IMG]
    -Jessa

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    YOU'LL FIND HATCHING ANYTHING IN AN EGG IS AN INDIVIDUAL ARTFORM. AND LIKE ANY ARTFORM IT TAKES TIME TO LEARN AND DEVELOP. MANY SPECES ARE EASY [​IMG] , MANY ARE DIFFICULT [​IMG] , AND A FEW ARE DOWN RIGHT MADDENING [​IMG] . PERSEVERANCE AND CLOSE OBSERVATION ARE THE KEYS. KEEP TRYING AND EVENTUALLY YOU'LL GET IT WORKED OUT. CLOSE OBSERVANCE OF EQUIPMENT FUNCTION AND BASIC TECHNIQUE AND REQUIRED MORE BY THE DIFFICULT SPECES. PROPER EQUIPMENT HELPS ALOT TOO. THERE ARE MANY WONDERFUL CHICKEN BATORS OUT THERE FOR CHEAP, BUT YOU'LL FIND MANY SPECES SUCH AS GAMEBIRDS THAT DONT TOLERATE LOOSE PARAMETERS LIKE CHICKEN AND OTHER POULTRY DO, DOES THIS MEAN YOU CANT USE THEM FOR QUAIL? NO- JUST MEANS DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH FOR A 100% HATCH. ONCE ACCOMPLISHED AT HATCHING YOU LEARN TO OVERCOME THE SHORT FALLS OF SOME EQUIPMENT OR TAYLOR YOUR TECHNIQUE TO GET GOOD RESULTS WITH THE EQUIPMENT AT HAND. IT BECOMES PART OF THE ARTFORM IF YOU WILL?

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS BE PATIENT AND KEEP TRYING- LEARN AS YOU GO AND YOU WILL GET IT EVENTUALLY [​IMG]

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:another part is reading as much as you can about how to incubate how an egg is constructed etc and hatching as often as you can while you are learning to hatch the best bator you can afford will help shorten the learning curve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by