Float testing on lock down day

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tinkatwerp, Aug 8, 2014.

1. tinkatwerp

tinkatwerp In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2014
    So today is lockdown day for my first batch of mailed coturnix quail eggs, and the suspense is killing me. I got these eggs off eBay, in the middle of summer, so I don't know if there will be any development at all. I literally haven't touched them since the day I put them in the turners, so I haven't candled them at all. I think they're too dark anyways. I would really like to float test them, just to know if I could be expecting any chicks. To be honest I haven't set my brooder up yet and I'm lazy enough I rather not if there aren't going to be chicks anyways. Would float testing harm he eggs at all? I've really been trying to handle these guys the least amount possible, and since I feel like them hatching is already a semi slim chance, I don't want to mess with my chances.

2. tinkatwerp

Mar 31, 2014
    I compromised and floated 10 out of 42. All of them floated and 6 were rocking and rolling! Woot!

1 person likes this.
  3. James the Bald

James the Bald Songster

Jan 6, 2013
    Tink, even though the egg shells are "dark", when you shine a light through it, you can easily tell if it is viable or not. An egg that allows light to shine completely through it is not fertile, and one that does not allow any light to pass through it is fertile.
    I hope this helps in the future.
    James

1 person likes this.
  4. tinkatwerp

Mar 31, 2014
    I tries to shine a light through them when I first unpacked them, but I couldn't get the light to go through the shell. I probably don't have a good enough flash light.

5. Rashid100

Rashid100 Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    I did a float test on my quail eggs one day before lockdown. It does not harm the chick as long as the water is the right temp and you don't leave it in there for more than a minute. You can check out my float test video if u'd like

6. tinkatwerp

Mar 31, 2014
    I was just worried about the water removing the bloom from the surface of the egg.

I have another question. I moved the eggs into lockdown at about 1 pm yesterday, and at about 4 pm a few started rocking and chirping. Today the rocking and chirping seems to have pretty well stopped, and there are no pips or cracks in any of the eggs. Is this ok? I've never really heard eggs cheep before and it seems odd to me that they have stopped.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  7. Rashid100

Rashid100 Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    The bloom is already gone by this time due to incubation so the egg can absorb moisture to ease the hatching.

Maybe they pipped internally and are resting? Hopefully they'll hatch soon

8. tinkatwerp

Mar 31, 2014
    Ok that makes me feel better about the bloom.

Have you ever tried talking to eggs in the Bator? I read somewhere that if you talk to chickens while their in he egg they will talk back and possibly imprint on you. Would this work with quail do you think?

9. Rashid100

Rashid100 Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    haha never heard of that. give it a shot

10. tinkatwerp

Mar 31, 2014
    Well I tried talking to them last night, and the eggs started rocking again so I guess it at least woke them up if they were sleeping or something. No pips still

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by