1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Floaties in the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sylviaanne, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I have ducks and chickens. Somebody lays a blush colored big egg and the duck eggs have striations in the shells. I have just discovered these striations on the duck eggs and the blush eggs don't have them so I am assuming the blush eggs are chicken. I have 3 ducks but one has babies so I don't think she could be laying again yet. The babies are only about 2 weeks old. Tonight when I went out to lock everyone up, I found eggs where I didn't expect to and brought them in, some of them may have been there 2 days. One blush egg and one duck egg have floaties in them, not big enough to be called an embryo and they don't seem to be attached at this point.

Do these floaties mean the eggs have been fertilized? Thanks.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Egg Quality Handbook
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

Read about blood spots and meat spots in this link. Could this be what you are seeing? Sometimes a blood vessel breaks when the egg yolk starts its internal journey through her egg making factory or a piece of something in the hen's body cavity starts the journey with the yolk. That is probably what you are seeing. These are fairly common. Commercial operations electronically candle their eggs to keep customers from finding these surprises. These eggs are still safe to eat and are usually sold to bakeries or some place similar where they beat them up and the spot disappears. That's one of the differences in Grade A and Grade B eggs.

If they have not been incubated they won't develop. The heart is about the first thing that develops so id it is development, that's what you would see.

3. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I am so sorry!!! I left out the most important fact: I was candling them. If they have "meat" spots, that means they have started to develop, yes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by