floating air cell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by naked_neck, Feb 15, 2008.

1. naked_neck

naked_neck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    what causes this? does this cause problems for the hatch? is there anything one could do to fix this problem?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I just had some with this problem And they didnt hatch [​IMG]

3. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Shipping causes it. (Are they shipped eggs? If not then I don't know) usually ones with detached air cells won't develop or hatch....BUT sometimes if you stand them straight up in the bator and don't turn them for the first few days you have a chance of it reattaching. I have never had any eggs with DAC's develop though.

4. naked_neck

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    its not a shipped egg but it did travel in the truck (on the seat proped up--big end up-- right beside me so it would not get knocked around) on the way home from the state 4-h show. ill see if i can prop it in the bator as its the only buttercup egg i have and id really like it to hatch.

5. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I just candled on day seven and have 9 air cells that are jigglely out of 14 ss eggs, but they all have veins and are working, so I have my fingers crossed! [​IMG] I also bought some lemon blue cochin eggs that are also on day seven and out of 19 I have at least 10 clear.....UGH! :thun I don't think I'm going to have very good luck with this bunch....
    sly

6. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I have a few in my incubator that I have stood on end 2 have reattached and are developing so far also have a couple other that do not seem to have reattached yet but are developing so far about 50 % of the floaters are developing so far.

7. naked_neck

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    well maybe theres hope yet. though this ones not just jiggly, it floats all the way around the egg. ill just wait and see.

8. naked_neck

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    well, i knew by yesterday that nothing was developing in the egg. it was a shame because it was the only buttercup egg i got. we opened it and nothing, not even a speck of blood. oh well, at least i know the bator still works (its an old styrofoam one) for when i start hatching my 1st gen. showgirls and my NN eggs and later this year Polish eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by