floating black spots in my FBCM shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shellebelle920, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Shellebelle920

Shellebelle920 Songster

Feb 10, 2019
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    A5109172-8555-4D1C-8BA1-667611267EB2.jpeg I know that shipped eggs are a risk. I completely get it! But I can’t help but feel disappointed. I spent a good bit of money on 6 FBCM eggs from a well-known breeder. When they arrived the box was slightly smooshed. When I unwrapped everything, the breeder had sent me an extra egg! Wahoo! However, it was so smashed that the yolk was all over three other wrapped eggs. I am new at all of this, so I could be wrong. I suspect that ALL of the air cells are detached and floating. It is hard to see because the eggs are dark, but I see no definitive line marking an air cell. Also, in two of the eggs, I see small black floating objects??? What in the world is going on there? I am still going to try to incubate them, but I’m thinking not a single one is going to hatch. I’m so disappointed but will still hope for the best!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    All you can do is handle them well and try them. Let them sit still for 36 hours, then put them in. The black spots could be meat spots?

Sadly, we have no control over what the USPS does with our boxes once they have them.

If you can't see the air cells because the shells are so dark, how do you know the air cells are detached? Best to get the brightest candler you can for those eggs.

Shellebelle920 likes this.
  3. Shellebelle920

Shellebelle920 Songster

Feb 10, 2019
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    Sure. I understand that some things are out of the breeders control. I’m not blaming anyone and that is the risk that you take with shipped eggs. I can’t take a picture while candling, but I am able to illuminate the egg with an egg candler light. It looks like there is no definitive air cell. It looks like there is just a splotch taking up about 1/4 of the egg at the round end. I could be wrong and completely mistaken. I was more curious about the dark spots. Thanks for the response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: