Floating Bubble

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rabbit, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Rabbit

Rabbit New Egg

Feb 5, 2009
    I was curious about chickens so I built an incubator and ordered some eggs off of ebay. I candled them today (Day 2) and I noticed 3 had a large floating bubble in them. What is this? Are the eggs bad? Is there any chance or anything I can do?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
  3. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    if you turn the egg and the bubble follows you to the top of the egg no matter what direction you turn it. (like water in a balloon) then yes the eggs are bad. It is good to get rid of the eggs with the bubble and focus on the good ones. Its a mystery but I am not sure why that happens to eggs. I believe it is the due to the rough handeling of the postal system. Or it could be because the hens whom laid the eggs were really young.

4. Rabbit

Rabbit New Egg

Feb 5, 2009
    Yes. It floats around. I could use it to level a table. If it is the air bubble, are they dead?

5. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Go ahead and leave them in there sometimes they'll firm up and make it...and sometimes they don't. Try to wait to candle again until day 10. By then, those that will make it have definite development and won't be injured by moving them around too much. [​IMG]

6. Rabbit

Rabbit New Egg

Feb 5, 2009
    Should I tilt it on end so that the bubble is in the spot is should be in?

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I kind of think it may have to do with extreme temperatures...that's just a guess though some do make it i leave them in [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by