Floating up an idea...create a space to comment on Member Pages.

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by ADozenGirlz, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Yes, sounds like a great idea.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, not really.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I was thinking that it would be interesting and useful if there was a space made available in/around/near/under/next to members' BYC pages so that other members can leave comments and/or questions for them. Kind of like a thread I guess, but attached to the individual's page.

I've gotten so many wonderful ideas and inspiration from so many different pages and it would be nice to be able to leave feedback in the vicinity of the page (not a PM or an email although obviously that's an option).

Just a thought.

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

It's definitely possible. We'd just have to find out how expensive (time and money) it would be to build in this functionality. We also would want to make sure it wouldn't detract from the forum.

We're very open to the idea and the discussion, so I'll be watching this thread for comments.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    If it were optional to the member having the page, it might be ok. Some may not wish for a comment section and should be able to have the option to not have one.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I am kinda cranky today, so I am going to post the "Cons" for now. Tomorrow I will hit up the "Pros" when I am more chipper. [​IMG]

I saw this and decided to ponder for a while, and I wonder if the cost versus benefit would be worth it--so few folks have BYC pages or maintain them enough to consider them "up to date" or "recently relvant".

I went into "Laree's Job" mode and over-analyzed it..and came up with this: while it would be a totally cool feature, I dont think it would be utilized as much as I would want it to be, if I had to buy the software/additional servers/tech time to warrant it.

You'd have to:
    Set up the comment function.
    Give users the ability to prohibit or allow comments.
    Give users the ability to "delete" comments on their page.
    Somehow make the system send "alerts" when comments are posted.
    Have someone availble to deal with issues.

Also-- lots of folks already have little blogsites, they are free and easier (sorry Nifty!) to set up than the BYC user pages. THose sites have the comment functionality built into it.

With so many social-networking sites out there, people are starting to centralize all their "stuff". Some people use facebook, some the free websites, etc... BYC is the ONLY social website I frequent, but how many freaks are out there like me? I dunno.

5. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:All valid points, L. Sorry to catch you on a Monday. [​IMG] Not too many like you out there to be sure. Gotta luv ya.

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Like I said, I will do cheery tomorrow, or later today if this coffee is good enough.

My arch-enemy has already cheesed me off and I dropped my boiled egg. Hungry, no coffee, not enough sleep, AND the neighbor's wandering turkey has 5+ poults which are now following mama and tresspassing into my yard.... I am a BARREL of positivity today. Seriously, I am like a field of daisies, smiling at the sun.

7. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Looking forward to your "how-this-can-be-done-economically and why-it's-a-brilliant-idea" installation tomorrow. Will stand by. No pressure.
    Now, go boil yourself a new egg and don't do any heavy lifting.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  8. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    I'm with Ninja chick. I've been trying to do a BYF page but find the blog pages much easier.And I consider myself computer literate. I also only use BYF as a social network. Blog pages allow u 2B much more creative. [​IMG]

9. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Check my page! I added a comments box that can have comments added by anyone, and my email address can delete/edit the postings

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
  10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I too am anti-comment - probably for the same reason (ante-caffeine). Give me a couple hours and I might be pro-comment.

Right off the bat, the "member choice" to enable comments would be good.
    Next, the member ability to delete any comment post on his/her own page would be absolutely necessary.

I'll return to this thread after my second cup of coffee - and it's in my BYC mug, so it's gonna be a lot of caffeine. Grumpy morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by