1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Floating veins???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jun 15, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I got some shipped eggs and they have been in the bator for 9 days. I have candled and 3 look good and I can see movement, 4 with nothing (noticable on the exterior) yet and 1 that I am confused about. When I candle it I can see veins but not along the shell, they look like they are floating. Is there any hope that this will develop? It looks like there is something in there. Anyone have any experience with this? I have another 8 eggs I got in the bator just 4 days ago and they all have nice veins, no question. So I guess my question is , is my egg scrambled or does it have a chance to develop normally? Do I just wait another 5 days and see?
    Krista

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I don't get rid of anything that has veins. It will eventually declare itself as live or not.

3. dbrberry

dbrberry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    i had a bantam egg with floating veins and just knew it was no good. we cracked it open and i was shocked. it was good and we killed that little thing. my kids we're so sad but they did get to see what a chick looked like in the shell.

4. dbrberry

dbrberry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    i had a bantam egg with floating veins and just knew it was no good. we cracked it open and i was shocked. it was good and we killed that little thing. my kids we're so sad but they did get to see what a chick looked like in the shell.

5. rahul2299

rahul2299 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    India
    According to my personal exp.... Look at the air sac,,, if there is any life in the egg the air sac must be clear during candling... But if the embryo dead the air sac may get messy or feel dirty at the light pass through it.

6. SpiritedFarm

SpiritedFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    South West Ontario
    I had floaters, they hatched!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by