Floating waterfowl feed...confused!!

quirkybeeper

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 24, 2011
Guilford County, NC
I've been giving my ducks chicken feed the entire time I've owned them (about 2.5 years). I just found out *this week* that our local farm store carries food specifically for ducks and geese! *facepalm*

When I got the bag home, I looked at the tag to see what all it has in it (yay niacin!), and it says it's floating food. Now I'm just completely at a loss. Should I put it in their pool or water tote, or can I feed it in the feeder like the chicken feed? I only have 2 ducks in a small enclosure, they have a mid-size kiddie pool for swimming and an under-bed storage tote for their drinking water...so I have no idea where to put it, how much to feed, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated! I thought I was finally getting the hang of owning ducks, this completely threw me for a loop!

Maybe supplement nutritional yeast in their food?

At 4 months I never did unless there was a problem that they needed it. But I feed Nutrena Nature Wise which has a high niacin content. Then I fed things higher in niacin a couple times a week. Like fish, greens plus they noodled around for tons of bugs and worms. In the winter I mixed in cat food.

Usually they need extra during injury or growing times. At 4 months old you should be ok so long as they are not showing any signs of defiecancy.
Cool, I'll feed the Southern States, and keep up with the minnows. Monitor their progress and see how it goes....they are very healthy and active at this point.

Thanks, I didn't even think of that! I have my moments...

Anyway, I emailed and said that I could give adult ducks the food either in the feeder or float it in their water...just in case someone else has this question :)
Thank you. I just bought two bags today and I intended to give it in their feeder but the floating mention confused me also so I am glad you found the answer

Just wanted to add, this is what I got: http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-9942-southern-states-18-waterfowl-feed-40lb.aspx

Does anyone have experience with this or something similar? I'm running out of their old food and I'm trying to figure out the best way to feed this, starting sometime in the next few days. Thanks!

Hey me again, I have no experience with this feed but I think mazuri makes floating waterfowl feed not sure though, anyway why not email the company where your feed is from and ask them I'd think it could be fed dry at least then it wouldn't get soggy before they finished it up.

Thanks, I didn't even think of that! I have my moments...

Anyway, I emailed and said that I could give adult ducks the food either in the feeder or float it in their water...just in case someone else has this question
smile.png

Glad to be of help and I have senior moments so understand what your saying.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom