Flock Additions - BO and RIR?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilberHenne, Feb 12, 2019.

1. SilberHenne

SilberHenne Chirping

Mar 27, 2018
    We have decided to order from My Pet Chicken this year to finish our flock, but I dont want to make the mistake of getting the wrong breed.

My current chickens:
    3 Silver Laced Wyandotte Hens
    2 Black Sex Link Hens
    2 Belgian D'uccle Roosters

20190212_122022.jpg

20190212_122131.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the SLWs because they are moody, greedy, couldn't care less about laying eggs, and chase the roosters any chance they get.

(I had more D'uccle hens and another BSL but a pair of barred owls flew off with them on nights I worked evenings and couldn't get home in time to close the coop... now I don't have enough girls and I don't let them outside unless I am home now.)

We want mostly Black Australorps for sure, but we were thinking of adding 2-3 of another breed. We adore our BSLs, so are considering Rhode Island Reds, but I have read that some are friendly and some are mean. Does anyone have experience with the lines from My Pet Chicken?

We need heat tolerant birds, as we live in hot, humid, wet north Florida. We use eggs for dog and cat food, so we go through quite a bit, but really we just love our chickens as pets and want friendly birds that don't mind being contained most days due to our owl situation.

black_fleet and m1chelle1 like this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I don't have any experience with their RIR. I do love their buff Orpingtons. They are nice, lay well and are long lived.

black_fleet and SilberHenne like this.
  3. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    SE NC
    I have black australorps in eastern NC, its pretty humid here. Theyre not as friendly as orpingtons, but do better in the heat. My last flock were large Buff Orpingtons and they did pretty poor in any heat over 80.....so im not sure id personally recommend them for Florida. Idk, maybe other BO's do better in the heat than mine did. They are good in the snow, tho.

4. aesch

aesch Chirping

Jun 30, 2017
    I have several breeds and for the most part they all get along. If I had to choose between BO and RIR, I would go with the RIRs. Mine are friendly, intelligent, and great layers. Although the buffs are also good layers they trnd to be skittish, but GREAT moms. My 2 cents. I think it's probably how they are introduced into the flock that makes the final determination. Good luck with whatever you choose.

5. SilberHenne

SilberHenne Chirping

Mar 27, 2018
    Great to know about BOs and heat! It's almost 80 degrees today and it's still Winter! It's really a shame because they seem like such nice birds, but our Summers are rough.

I'm reading that Easter Eggers do well in heat? We overlooked them because we don't really care about egg color, but if they are heat tolerant and friendly, they are contenders.

black_fleet likes this.
  6. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    I would get the BO's, such sweethearts!

Some members on here say that their RIR's aren't mean at all, complete opposite experience for me. "Penny" my RIR was one of the meanest hens I had ever kept. She would pick on the docile girls and wouldn't let me get around her. The only pro was that she laid an abundance of eggs.

Black Australorp's are my favorite breed. They are docile, quite (when they aren't begging for treats), and they have such funny personalities!

Easter Egger's are very docile, too. And although they are more cold hardy, they do well in heat as well :)

SilberHenne and black_fleet like this.
  7. black_fleet

black_fleet Chirping

Feb 4, 2019
    Florida
    I have kept Buff Orphingtons in Central Florida for somewhere around 20 years with no problems. As long as they can get to shade and water when they need to, there doesn't seem to be a problem. I have some Black Australorps that are pretty friendly too, though I have handled them almost every day since I got them.

SilberHenne, m1chelle1 and RodNTN like this.
  8. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    SE NC
    Ye
    yeah, idk. Mine were very large and meaty, even for BO's and they absolutely hated the heat. They would pant constantly even in the shade. Nothing i did helped them. They definitely only liked cooler weather....

9. SilberHenne

SilberHenne Chirping

Mar 27, 2018
    Thank you everyone for your replies! I have a lot to think about and wonder if different lines have different heat tolerance and might ask MyPetChicken what their recommendation is.

What I do know is that these guys love the sunshine!
    20190212_134250.jpg

m1chelle1 and black_fleet like this.
  10. SBFChickenGirl

SBFChickenGirl Songster

Nov 12, 2018
    My RIR was the nicest bird I ever had. Sure she was on top of the pecking order, but she never went out of her way just to chase somebody. She was super nice to me and would follow me around. She even would sit next to me or on my lap. She loved to snuggle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: