Flock Additions, Need Advice.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Le Mitzer, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    OK, so as of right I own three chickens, two sex lines and One Sussex. im looking at getting a rooster and another hen, what size of rooster should i get; i dont want anything to big that will hurt my girls. is a Bantam Braham Ok?

As well as should i be worried that there are Mice now living under my chicken coop.?????????

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would probably get a large fowl roo if I wanted fertile eggs; a bantam may have trouble getting the job done. And I would start on those mice now before they get out of hand. Lots of threads in Predators and Pests about mice control. I use a "safe" poison, bromadiolone, myself. You will have mice eating more feed than the chickens do, otherwise.

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yes if you have big breed hens......I would get a big breed rooster. Mainly because if I put my little Bantam Rooster in with my standard breed hens they would probably sit and laugh at him! He`s soooo tiny compared to them. They think my bantams are aliens! [​IMG]

4. Murrmade

Murrmade Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Believe it or not, chickens have been known to kill mice, so don't worry too much about them unless you do notice your food disappearing faster.

5. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    It's not to get fertile. I would perferre if he doesn't get the job done. I just want him as a protector and for him to look pretty. That's it. [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by