1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flock adoption? Please identify.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Qurus, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Qurus

Qurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Donna, Texas
    I won't promise this will be the last time I ask for help, but I could really use some opinions on this one. I decided to start free-ranging my small flock for a bit each day to let them explore outside their run a bit. They wouldn't go far, but were joined almost immediately by this one. It followed my girls back into the coop like they've been family for weeks. I've asked my neighbors, and they don't know anything about it, so I'm thinking my neighbor that recently moved away must have left this one behind. I actually tried to shoo her out, but my girls were having none of it. They seem to have adopted this bird, and who am I to argue?
    Anyway, if I am going to be caring for this bird, at least until the owner shows up looking, I'd like to know what I am dealing with.
    In case you have missed my prior posts, I know next to nothing, and am trying to learn fast. If you can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

So, what is this? And what gender, if possible? My Maverick is protecting this thing for now, but he's pretty agressive with other roosters, so if it's a boy, I'm going to have trouble!

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your wisdom (and/or witicism).

2. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Pullet but not sure what breed. Is she a bantam or standard?

3. Qurus

Feb 14, 2012
    Donna, Texas
    I have no clue... It looks to be just slightly smaller than my girls.

[​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think it looks like a golden spangled hamburg. And it is a hen. Very pretty.

5. Qurus

Feb 14, 2012
    Donna, Texas
    It's a relief to hear that I'm not going to have to seperate her from Maverick.

6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    See? Even when WE aren't the ones doing the contributing, chicken math strikes again. Lol ALWAYS build for more chickens than you plan on having!

Looks like a girl to me...I was gonna guess game of some sort, but then again, she just looks different...I don't know what she is! Looks healthy though.

7. Qurus

Feb 14, 2012
    Donna, Texas
    She is pretty, whatever she is. And yes, I did plan all my "chicken math" around more birds than I actually planned to have. It's funny too, because I was just thinking this morning that I should get another girl or two.

8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Those legs look green. I'm thinking EE or EE cross pullet.

9. a4e82bad

a4e82bad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    I think Young RIR mix.

10. a4e82bad

a4e82bad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    except for the feet. She must have stocking on its the trend now says.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by