Flock attacked by "something" roosters and hens lefty for dead

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kubotafoot, Dec 4, 2014.

1. kubotafoot

kubotafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    Burlington, Connecticut
    Picking up bodies over the back pasture. Some alive, still.....Brought live ones into house and keeping warm and loved. All seem to be in shock, for sure. Anything I can do for them?
    Paula in CT

2. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    a little sugar in their water-lukewarm or room temp., a oatmeal breakefast tomorrow. Kept warm and quite tonight, carefully check for any puncture wounds.

1 person likes this.
  3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    My hubby's English setter attacked my flock last year. Some were very bad injured. Feathers and blood everywhere. I used what I had on hand because I was caught off guard. I used 1/2 peroxide 1/2 water to wash all the wounds. Some I could see to the bone. Watch for maggots in the wounds. Shouldn't be too much of a problem this time of year. I also put anti biotic ointment on their wounds. They make this stuff called vetericyn made just for animal wound care. I have not used it myself, but I intend on getting some should I have another mess.

The most important thing you need to do now is protect the ones that are left. A predator will always come back for another good meal.

Your chickens are going to be in a state of shock, scared for a few weeks. Mine were. Especially my roosters. They all seemed traumatized. I wish you all the luck. Please let us know if you need anything further and give us updates.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    How old are the chickens?

5. kubotafoot

Apr 12, 2014
    Burlington, Connecticut
    The chickens and roosters are about 1 1/2 years old. The orpington has been wrapped in a towel and help upright for the last hour, the gurgling has stopped and she is getting a little feisty. (great!!) I will keep her crated in the house tonight and watch her carefully. Did a quick check for wounds, but couldn't see any blood. Will look closer in a while.
    Another Copper Marran rooster was in a heap on top of the snow, but breathing. He has a puncture on the back of his neck, but little blood. Will wash out and keep him inside overnight, tho he isn't looking as good as the Orpington.
    Other birds in barn are roosted as high as they possibly can.....Will not let out tomorrow and keep a smart eye for predators. So sad. I hate this part of farming/ranching. Thanks for the suggestions. Any more?

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Story consistent with a canid, most likely a dog. Likely to come back. Keep wounded birds in relatively cool, dry and low light location. Big part wounds not evident in the punctures will involve crushing injuries that very likely involve broken bones. Broken bones do not preclude walking. For now I would simply provide straight water unless you feel comfortable using antibiotics in it.

7. minnehaha

minnehaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    AWWW...so sorry, I hope your roo and hen heal up and you get the predator!

Besides all of the other great suggestions, I would scramble up some eggs for them, soft warm food with lots of healing protein does a body good. I even add cream or butter and cheese while scrambling to give it extra fat and protein.

8. ella&clara

ella&clara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    I'm so sorry! If it's any consolation, I have seen a chicken have her entire back opened up by a dog and she survived. They are more resilient than we are with catastrophic injuries.

9. gawildlife

gawildlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Hampton, GA
    Someone's yard mutt.

10. kubotafoot

Apr 12, 2014
    Burlington, Connecticut
    Thanks one and all for the support and suggestions. The Orpington is in a cat carrier, up and alert and NOT gurgling any more, so I think it had to do with the position she was in on the snow, causing crop back up or sorts. She is cooing a bit and let us check for wounds. Found a few punctures and washed with hydrogen peroxide and warm water. Put a Betadine solution on them after. she seems comfortable. The rooster is fighting to stay alive. He has some punctures on his neck and on near the tail. He sleeps a lot (I believe that is good for him now) and has also allowed us to check and treat whatever we have seen.
    I believe the predator to have been a bob cat as I was told by neighbors a month or so ago they had seen one around. I never saw it, but what tracks I was able to see before dark were not raccoon or fox. Keeping them in a draft free area tonight, not too warm....(low 60's) and will check on them throughout the night. Keeping them all in prayer....Thy will be done.
    Thanks-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by