Flock behavior

Ladyquitachicks

Songster
May 25, 2022
Louisiana
Ok so I’ve read and heard that roosters are the protector of the flock. I have a confirmed rooster who’s paired up with what I believe to be a hen (possibly austra white). These two stick together like glue. Since day one of me bringing them home, the hen has always covered the rooster or followed him as if trying to protect him from me? If they’re separated, she goes crazy. Is that normal? Is she really a he and just haven’t started crowing yet? They’re about 14 weeks now.
59527146-8A95-4A27-8587-E6660E2F3296.jpeg

I've experienced the same with my flock. They don't hang out so much together anymore since they've gotten older but it used to be that my red sex link and rooster were inseparable.
I doubt your pullet is trying to protect him from you. She probably just likes him enough to hang around. Also at 14 weeks old It would be obvious if she was a boy so I wouldn't worry about that. Not to mention, if she was a boy, they might discover they have some differences due to their hormones and would be fighting.

I've experienced the same with my flock. They don't hang out so much together anymore since they've gotten older but it used to be that my red sex link and rooster were inseparable.
I doubt your pullet is trying to protect him from you. She probably just likes him enough to hang around. Also at 14 weeks old It would be obvious if she was a boy so I wouldn't worry about that. Not to mention, if she was a boy, they might discover they have some differences due to their hormones and would be fighting.
Ok, my other cockerel just crowed for the first time this morning but his sex was pretty obvious. I like to check their crops every morning and she didn’t want to let me pick him up. She always gets in front of him and he’ll find a corner and she’ll cover him. It’s crazy

Ok, my other cockerel just crowed for the first time this morning but his sex was pretty obvious. I like to check their crops every morning and she didn’t want to let me pick him up. She always gets in front of him and he’ll find a corner and she’ll cover him. It’s crazy

She'll probably end up head hen in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom