1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flock Block chicken treat.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cmom, Nov 15, 2010.

1. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I was at our local TSC a while back and talked to a nice lady who was buying a Flock Block for her chickens. Since you can buy Salt Blocks and Mineral Blocks for the cattle and horses I thought why not get Flock Blocks for the birds. My birds love them. I was wondering if anyone else uses Flock Blocks???

2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I am getting ready to do a search on here today. There is a thread about making 'flock block' for your chickens. That is what I plan to do for these cold days to give them something to entertain themselves with.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I got one & put it out. The weathers getting worse & their enjoying waking up & pecking on it. I'm pretty much just gonna use them in the winter. Keep them busy & a little fatter through the winter.There's pros & cons about everything.You can make them yourself but for 10 bucks.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I bought one too, but am saving it for winter boredom issues. DH set it out for a few days last week, but I put it up again. Maybe it was coincidence, but I didn't get ANY eggs for two days straight when that thing was out. Between molters and the short days, I'm barely getting an egg a day now anyway. So I'm blaming the two day strike on them filling up on that "treat," which only has about 8 or 9% protein. [​IMG] I'll put it back out next month...or when the really cold weather hits and they're not venturing out much...

5. bosoxbratt

bosoxbratt Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Well we got a flock block and they loveeee pecking at it and eating it :) So glad we bought them one as when we made them they didn't last long at all this is lasting much longer :)

It has not made a difference with them laying as we are still getting eggs each day has not slowed down yet :)
    hope this helps :)
    have a great day

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Has anyone divide that block up for smaller flocks? Or would it crumble to pieces?

7. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:I am curious about that as well. Also, once you place it, do you put it away at the end of the day or do you leave it?

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
  9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I am curious about that as well. Also, once you place it, do you put it away at the end of the day or do you leave it?

I knew it was gonna rain last nite so I covered it with a bucket . It got wet one nite but they ate it so fast no time for mold to grow.

10. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I knew it was gonna rain last nite so I covered it with a bucket . It got wet one nite but they ate it so fast no time for mold to grow.

I fed mine in the coop during the winter last year. It helps a bit w/the boredom factor. [​IMG] I didn't remove it, but left it in for a few days. The first block lasted about a week, the second, 3-4 days, the third - a little over one day! lol They realized that it was good [​IMG] I wouldn't divide it for a smaller flock ( I had 15 girls last winter), but just leave it in for a few days. If you wanted to make it last longer, remove it and place it in a rubbermaid container to keep it fresher.

I was lucky and scored a sale at TSC and bought two on clearance for $5 each!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by