Flock block - do you use one?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I picked up feed yesterday, and I bought a flock block. Lots of black oil seeds, fat and other grains. We have just has such a rather long spell are cold weather. My birds are laying again, regularly, (now if I could just get to the eggs before they freeze!) thought maybe a boost in energy food might be of help.

Anyway, 13 birds out there, and I put it out this morning. Seems pretty hard, (frozen solid) so maybe it is not such a good idea for cold weather.

Do any of you use one?

Mrs K

2. A.M. Eggs

A.M. Eggs Songster

Jan 7, 2018
    Wichita Falls, TX
    I have used one in the past. They are supposed to be difficult for the birds. It gives them something to do throughout the day.

3. FaithVondras987

FaithVondras987 Chirping

Jun 3, 2018
    I don’t, but there is a chance I will. Iv been using the small party block. I have only 1 hen, and have chicks in the incubator. 3 hatched today and I still have 4 more eggs to hatch. After they get older I will be looking at costs for flock block before I buy one

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Chirping

Oct 4, 2017
    Utah
    I used one with two unexpected results: 1). The hens were terrified of it and wouldn't go near it, and 2) . It provided an easy meal for mice and rats.

Not saying either of those will happen to you, that's just what happened to my weird birds...

5. FaithVondras987

FaithVondras987 Chirping

Jun 3, 2018
    My hen is known to be cautious about new things I add to her coop, but she soon gets over it

6. A.M. Eggs

A.M. Eggs Songster

Jan 7, 2018
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Lol! Chickens are so weird about nothing!

7. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    I have used a few in the past. My flock enjoys it.....but I worry that they ONLY want to eat that instead of their feed. They can eat through those blocks in no time!

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Chirping

Oct 4, 2017
    Utah
    They sure are. Part of their charm, I suppose.

9. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    I bought one... they worked it over like crazy... first they whittled it into what looked like what was going to be the statue David... then it looked like it was going to be the Sphinx... and then it was just gone... took about 10 days....

Too much $ for that short of a time was my thought, but I think it’s worth trying.

10. mixedbreeds

mixedbreeds Songster

I buy them once in a while when on sale they seemed to last quite a while, 3 weeks plus with 25 chickens pecking at each one. They ate there food fine I also feed fodder about 11:00am so maybe why mine lasted longer than others. I hade 3 blocks out for 75 chickens.

Susan Dye and to BarbsGirls like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: