Flock Block vs. Cracked Corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by beach livin', Sep 25, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    treat wise?

My local TSC(which is 90 min away) carries the FLock Blocks for $11 for the 20lb block. I thought about just hacking bits off every day, that way they dont eat it all instead of the layer feed. OR,
    my local ACE Hardware carries 50lb bags of cracked corn for about around $5. I was also going to see if they would be willing to order my other supplies for me so I wouldnt have to drive all the way to TSC when I need something.

What do you pro's suggest?

2. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good idea! I'm anxious to hear what the experts say too.

3. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I bought the Flock block from ACE-hardware~[​IMG] ACE hardware is great!!~ and it lasted a long time... The cracked corn I also buy from them as a treat at a better price then tsc...I find ACE hardware will order anything you ask them as long as they can order it..they ordered me the feeder I found and wanted and they got it at a better price....the block lasted about 1 month with 15 chickens...I am not sure how breaking off chunks might work as it is very hard...might not be worth it in the end...not sure though..do you free range?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  4. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    I have gotten the flock blocks before.

They do not just eat that, the birds sort of peck and nibble at it. They where eating the regular food just as much as before giving them the block. I was tossing bird seed out before the flock block.
    I have now switched to scratch grains..just some experimenting. Also the flock block will melt in the rain.

5. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    i do plan on doing some free range, but it will be limited to about an hour a day. they will be in the coop and run the majority of the day.

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I use a flock block and hanging cabbage heads in the winter when they cant get out to free range. Keeps the occupied so there is less boredom and possible pecking. Flock blocks are really hard and it takes awhile for them to get it worn down. There really isnt any problem of them getting too much that the wont eat their food.

7. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    WOW if you can find 50 pounds of cracked corn for $5 I would buy a ton and stock up!!!!!!!!! I work at TSC and our cracked corn is $11.50 for a 50 pound bag. I use the flock blocks as well and they are great. I don't use them as there only source of food though. They do get some cracked corn on the ground so they have something to scratch everyday. Oh and the treats!!!!! They get a lot of different treats as well. Right now pumpkin is there favorite treat. Crack open a small pumpkin and put it on the ground and watch them go crazy for the meat in it. [​IMG]

8. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

beach livin' :

.......my local ACE Hardware carries 50lb bags of cracked corn for about around $5...

You better check that price, it equates to $5.60/bushel. The current price in the Midwest is still over $7/bushel without ANY cracking.​

9. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

beach livin' :

.......my local ACE Hardware carries 50lb bags of cracked corn for about around $5...

You better check that price, it equates to $5.60/bushel. The current price in the Midwest is still over $7/bushel without ANY cracking.​

I think dh said the price around here was $6 yesterday. Still above 5.60...

I wonder when we'll get back to $3 new crop corn like it was a few years ago.​

10. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You better check that price, it equates to $5.60/bushel. The current price in the Midwest is still over $7/bushel without ANY cracking.

I think dh said the price around here was $6 yesterday. Still above 5.60...

I wonder when we'll get back to $3 new crop corn like it was a few years ago.

$3 new crop corn, oh I sure hope we don't return to that, not unless we have some dramatic changes in input costs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by