flock block

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by gsdobed, Nov 3, 2016.

1. gsdobed

gsdobed Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    Is it okay for peafowl to have purina flock blocks? I am trying to think of things for them during the winter.

2. Widlast

Widlast Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2016
    Maryland USA
    I checked the Purina website for info, Seems there is nothing wrong with it, protein is 9%, so a bit low for peafowl but as long as that is not the entirety of their diet it should be fine. It also has grit and oyster shell to aide digestion of the whole grains and provide calcium.
    Don't know calcium needs of peahens outside of breeding season, but don't think it could do any harm.

3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I tried it a couple of years ago and they didn't touch it so I gave it to the chickens. I think it is too hard for them.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    i wonder if mine would like it?

-Kathy

5. gsdobed

gsdobed Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    I was just wondering because winter is coming and we get so much snow and they will have a lot of indoor time. Just looking to break up the boredoom

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think it's a good idea if they'll eat it.

-Kathy

7. KsKingBee

My vet recommended that I provide flakes from an alfalfa bale to relieve boredom. You could also get one of those whole ear corn holders, they are like a wire spiral and hang it for them to play with. If you want a block' Farmers Helper makes a seed cake that peas like. I think it is called a Hot Cake.

1 person likes this.
  8. gsdobed

gsdobed Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    thanks

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Mine love alfalfa!

-Kathy

10. KsKingBee

Mine do too, we have it growing all over. I will pick it fresh and let them pick through it but sometimes they try to eat too long of a stalk, like the problem they run into when they eat long feathers, so I like to chop it up with scissors into short lengths they can swallow. You can also buy chopped alfalfa at the farm store in plastic bags, I give them the chops during the winter in big bowls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by