Flock Care and Maintenance with Marek's

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by igorsMistress, May 21, 2019.

1. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Hi all,

This Spring we had an experience with what I strongly believe was Marek's. I don't have a pathology report and I was quite upset so my husband said no home necropsy. I'm not going to rehash it all but if you're interested here's my post about the chain of events https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ard-in-progress.1160614/page-12#post-21372950

I've done a ton of reading but what I'm not finding is whether anyone has changed their maintenance routine or made any changes to flock care going forward. Maybe I'm not reading the right threads/posts or doing the right search.

I'm wondering if anyone routinely sanitizes their coop, and if so how often? What about supportive care for your birds? Immune enhancing herbs? Do you worm? If so, how often? What about feeders and waterers?

I have 12 chicks, almost 5 weeks old and hatched here. No vaccinations and exposed since they were 3 days old. No issues with the littles at this time. All birds positive for sympotims have been put down.

Thanks for your help!

2. TRThompson

TRThompson Chirping

Feb 24, 2019
    Hill City, Kansas
    I believe if what you had was Marek’s that it is still their. I deep clean my sleeping area once a year by spraying bleach and water mix and then repaint the inside. I change the bedding out every couple of weeks and sprinkle poultry dust on the floor before putting down new bedding . Every couple of mounts while doing regular cleaning I spray liquid seven on all surfaces . I have poop boards under the roost that I clean weekly. I also rake the run every couple of mounts just to get ride of build up. Others might have different ideas. This is just what I do. Hope this helps.

igorsMistress likes this.
  3. igorsMistress

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Thank you for taking the time to reply TRT.

I've come up with a similar plan. I'm eliminating pdz from the poop board and using something I can fully remove weekly. I've already been spraying the coop quarterly with permethrin and am planning to whitewash the interior. I'm reluctant to to put anything on the coop floor because our dust here is terrible. Not sure how I'm going to deal with that yet.

Good to know an annual deep clean is likely enough! I was thinking 6 to 12 months.

4. TRThompson

TRThompson Chirping

Feb 24, 2019
    Hill City, Kansas
    My sleeping area is raised and has a painted plywood floor. I sprinkle poultry dust on it then pine shavings. 3A803E38-4764-450D-99AC-E47C96A4E4AC.jpeg

igorsMistress likes this.
  5. igorsMistress

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    20190322_184818_Signature.jpg

This is our coop. There's a roost across the back wall with poop board underneath. The floor is bare dirt and the front panels are off right now.

TRThompson likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: