Flock caught scaly mites, I think?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, May 9, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I got a rooster 2 months ago, He had horrible scaly mites. I treated him, the mites are gone now but his legs are going to have scars or something. Well I never exposed him to the main flock. But his banty coop is right against my standard size coop. 2 weeks ago I forgot to lock the door to the big coop, The big girls got out and went and gave my banty rooster a visit (before the mites were totally gone) My cousin and I got them in the coop right away, Now today I was holding the girls and there legs look like a couple of scales are loose, not swellen or cooked, or off they just arent tight to her leg, there loose looking. So Now what? 15 hens with possible scaly mites, anyone have cheap, easy treatments because I go to school so I got have much time in the day except weekends. Any ideas, treatments anything?

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    dunk all the birds legs into oil of any kind and then rub it int ot he scales good. I use minearal oil with a few drops (drops only) of Tea Tree Oil but chances are you do not have that on hand. You could put any oil into a container and dunk the feet. It just has to smother the mites under the skin. You might have to repeat in another week though.

3. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Thank you [​IMG] !
    I did have tea tree oil, But its gone.

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I use Vaseline. Works wonders... Don't put the container down in front of other chickens.. They WILL eat it! *facepalm*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by